Allman Brothers....

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Allman Brothers....

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:36 am
I also have that box set which cost me nothing as I bought it with Christmas voucher. I didn't really need it but I got it anyway as you do :) I was disappointed that there was no booklet included. As for the sound you just cannot even think of comparing it to the originals. As you say there is absolutely no comparison. I also believe the label wouldn't know a master tape if it choked them! All, ahem, hi res files I believe. But.....if you turn the wick up a bit it doesn't sound as bad. I did that recently and it wasn't as bad as I had previously thought. Must be the new arm ;)
[/quote]

Have you got an original Capricorn Pink label? I used to have a UK original and a US cream label Capricorn, they pale in comparison.

Now that I think of it I must play it on the Quadrals.
[/quote]

Ah now wait a minute! I've never heard of or even seen the pink one ;) But I was shocked to find that Capricorn was pink at one stage. I thought Island were the only ones who did pink. I do have some of them alright. I do have a US cream label and UK original.

Anyway.....let us know how you get on with the Allman's on the Quadral's. I'd be very interested to hear your findings.

Finally, do you have any Roy Buchanan? Specifically his second album. A very 'hot' recording. I always take that one with me when I'm demoing. It sounds wonderful on my system and I sort of took it for granted that it would sound similar on other systems. I was completely wrong! It catches them out every time, speakers I mean; Sounding strident and sorely lacking in bass weight. It's a blessed relief to hear it back on my own system again. Then I realised it's the way I've built my system over the years so that all of my Lps will have some modicum of decent sound no matter how they were recorded. To hell with an ultra transparent system if you cannot play your less than perfect recordings. Just my tuppence :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

[/quote]

Ah now wait a minute! I've never heard of or even seen the pink one ;) But I was shocked to find that Capricorn was pink at one stage. I thought Island were the only ones who did pink. I do have some of them alright. I do have a US cream label and UK original.

Anyway.....let us know how you get on with the Allman's on the Quadral's. I'd be very interested to hear your findings.

Finally, do you have any Roy Buchanan? Specifically his second album. A very 'hot' recording. I always take that one with me when I'm demoing. It sounds wonderful on my system and I sort of took it for granted that it would sound similar on other systems. I was completely wrong! It catches them out every time, speakers I mean; Sounding strident and sorely lacking in bass weight. It's a blessed relief to hear it back on my own system again. Then I realised it's the way I've built my system over the years so that all of my Lps will have some modicum of decent sound no matter how they were recorded. To hell with an ultra transparent system if you cannot play your less than perfect recordings. Just my tuppence :)
[/quote]

Here's what the pink label Capricorn looks like...

http://assets.rootsvinylguide.com/pictu ... el_7160003

I think I have that Roy Buchanan LP, will have to check and then give it a listen if I have.

I'd like to think my system can play most of my LPs, but maybe not all!

Will let you know when I get a chance!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:38 pm

[/quote]

Here's what the pink label Capricorn looks like...

http://assets.rootsvinylguide.com/pictu ... el_7160003

I think I have that Roy Buchanan LP, will have to check and then give it a listen if I have.

I'd like to think my system can play most of my LPs, but maybe not all!

Will let you know when I get a chance!
[/quote]

Thanks for that. And the Fillmore East too! I have two originals of the East gig - one US cream and the other a UK pressing. Guess which one sounds better? Believe it or not it's the UK pressing!
Remember the Eat a Peach compilation of studio and live? Well you should hear Mountain Jam on that one. Glorious quintessential 70's live sound which positively eats the same tracks on the other pug of a box set :) But, as I said previously, it's not that bad on my own system even though you can clearly hear the difference.....
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for that. And the Fillmore East too! I have two originals of the East gig - one US cream and the other a UK pressing. Guess which one sounds better? Believe it or not it's the UK pressing!
Remember the Eat a Peach compilation of studio and live? Well you should hear Mountain Jam on that one. Glorious quintessential 70's live sound which positively eats the same tracks on the other pug of a box set :) But, as I said previously, it's not that bad on my own system even though you can clearly hear the difference.....
[/quote]

The Pink label is the original pressing, the cream label came later. I am not surprised that you prefer the UK to the US Cream. The Pink label is a different mastering to the cream hence the big difference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:28 pm
cybot wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 pm

The Pink label is the original pressing, the cream label came later. I am not surprised that you prefer the UK to the US Cream. The Pink label is a different mastering to the cream hence the big difference.
[/quote]

The UK pressing is also cream. Sorry for the confusion! That's why I was so surprised as I expected the US cream copy to be superior.

I also note that the pink editions are easy enough to come by. And reasonably priced. Definitely going to check them out especially the Fillmore set. Thanks for the heads up.....

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brot ... se/2379908
Ivor

Rip Gregg Allman.

Post by Ivor »

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

I just seen this on another site, sad news indeed, R.I.P.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
cybot

Post by cybot »

There goes another Brother. Sad news indeed......
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

One of my favourite bands of all time, they were SO together when they played. Definitely will be on my turntable for a while. RIP Gregg Allman.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Sad news, RIP