Power conditioners

Diapason

Re: Power conditioners

Post by Diapason »

hudo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm Those are all conditioners, which are just "cleaning" the noise. But there are also regenerators, like PS Audio Power Plant, and those are doing AC>DC>AC conversion (and are basically power amps). Is there some other company also offering regeneration, or that exclusively PS Audio thing, maybe patent?
The Power Inspired AG1500 I used was a regenerator, not a conditioner. It was at the lower end of the price spectrum!

I found it very effective in combating variability of performance. Basically some nights my system sounded great, others awful. There's a thread on here somewhere about it all...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
hudo

Post by hudo »

Ivor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:34 pm For my money, isolation gives the best "bang for buck". From recycled mouse mats, cork sanding blocks etc right up to commercially produced isolation feet/pads.
Isoacoustics Gaia II was one of the best investment I had lately, not cheap as mouse mats (far from that:), but works better than granite base and different spikes i tried.
I also heard good things about SORBOTHANE pads, quite cheap, and to be used under the digital sources / electronics. Ordered set of 4 for DAC.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

hudo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 pm I also heard good things about SORBOTHANE pads, quite cheap, and to be used under the digital sources / electronics. Ordered set of 4 for DAC.
many mouse mats are sorbothane or similar, as are balls for playing squash. Cut the ball in half.. = 2 feet!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

I also and up using power directly from the power sockets, so the power conditioner lays now and it's unused. More drive and air/ space.
When I was refurbishing my apartment I was able to run dedicated power lines from the fuse box to the wall sockets for my audio.
The power is at 99% of time 240V, this could be coincidence.

However the biggest upgrade that I have done recently was purchase of SAP Relaxa magnetic levitation platform.
I bought it second hand and cheap enough to give it try.
I was very skeptical, and thought that this is voodoo stuff and that I am going to send it back or sale it to turntable fan.
To my surprised it is as good as upgrading to way better interconnect, or changing piece of equipment for something clearly superior.
There is no point of writing about any specifics, like bass, texture........as all became only better.
I am using this under my CD player.
Under the CD power supply I have large and heavy made feet with sorbothane pads on both sides, so it seats free on it. This is very heavy power supply so its stable.
I did not notice any difference to standard feet, but feel better about it ;)

Ivor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:21 pm
nige2000 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:20 pm more for sources not for amps esp. the class a variety i think kinda sucks the life out of them.
Not something I've ever given any thought to but I think your right. I unplugged my amp from the conditioner (a respectable enough Consonance one) and plugged it directly into the wall socket. I think it's an improvement... not enough to be absolutely convinced but it does seem to have more clarity.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Never really got into power conditioners etc, however AC is a sine wave, which is best produced by a rotating generator, i.e. magnetic lines of force cutting conductors etc.

Yes there are Switch mode power supplies etc, but harmonics are always there. Unless you have a very fancy meter it is hard to know if your device is really giving a sine wave which is better than the sine wave at the wall socket.

Even the almost perfect rotating generator will have imperfections due to slight differences in winding lengths etc.

Pollution of the grid is going to get worse as levels of Non synchronous generation increases to 75% and also increased usage of devices which cause more and more harmonics in the grid.
Let the Good Times Roll...................