What music are you listening to currently?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tweber

Re: What music are you listening to currently?

Post by tweber »

Cyndale wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 pm
tweber wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:27 pm
Cyndale wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:58 pm I have Lonnie Mack's Strike Like Lightning (with Stevie Ray Vaughan), haven't played it in a whole, must do now.

Don't have it but Wham! is one of my favourite bits of music....SRV turned me onto him.
Well here is the best of both worlds, Lonnie Mack with Stevie Ray Vaughan doing WHAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbfgBlkSoqc
Oh man, two masters at work! I enjoyed that. Thanks Cyndale
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight again to Laura Gibson’s Goners, a shockingly powerful album that has stayed with me over time and troubled me and shaken me. Like all the great songwriters, she finds the perfect lines, the lines that catch your breath, that take your breath away, that encapsulate perfectly the desperate emotion imprisoned within the heart. The cumulative force of the lines in these songs is like a slap in the face or a punch to the gut, such is the potency of their visceral impact. This is a record about finding a loved one and losing that loved one, the nature of grief and the toll it takes. You hear in these songs a progressive sensory dislocation, a scrabbling for secure footing and a precious solace that may well be illusory and temporal and fleeting but which we must force ourselves to believe in. So much crushing emotional power is enshrined in these songs which speak so firmly of the consoling power of art, whose timeless message is that we are not alone in this life.

“Honey, all I know of hope is throwing stones into the void.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBlIF1MmfdA
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

THAT cover does it for me every time. He seems to be saying "Any humans out there?"
mcq

Post by mcq »

It’s a beautiful cover, Dermot, and a heartbreaking image to hold in the mind during the album’s closing song, I Don’t Want Your Voice To Move Me.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Claus

Post by Claus »

On vinyl. Side A will give you a right jump as it sounds like the the stylus is running over sandpaper at a brief moment! 😁
Claus

Post by Claus »

"Delaware" by The Drop Nineteens

Continuing on with this shoegazer gem that I was lucky to snap up on LP in London many years ago. Originally I had it burned from CD taken out in the local music library....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:59 pm Image

On vinyl. Side A will give you a right jump as it sounds like the the stylus is running over sandpaper at a brief moment! 😁
Perfect fodder for Simon 😜
cybot

Post by cybot »

Claus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 pm Image
"Delaware" by The Drop Nineteens

Continuing on with this shoegazer gem that I was lucky to snap up on LP in London many years ago. Originally I had it burned from CD taken out in the local music library....
Oh who they???? Must check them out. Thanks for the tip Claus 🎶
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

cybot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am
Perfect fodder for Simon 😜
AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!

😉
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

This little 6 track lime coloured 12" gem that I picked up in Road just before final closing time always mystified me as there's absolutely nothing on the sleeve or record to indicate who they were. The words mum and little brite appear on the label. But, wait, on the outer plastic sleeve there is sticker with some info. Sleep Whale Little Brite. They're from Denton USA and take a page from The Books and others. Mostly instrumental and beautifully produced and played. So glad I found it again...

"The six songs on Little Brite conjure a universe whose ancient forbears include Steve Reich, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Eno's looping ambiences, Brit-folk guitarist Bert Jansch, gamelan ensembles and Hindustani hand percussion. However, the wall-to-wall beauty of the proceedings is anything but reverential ear candy. Engaging, melodically rewarding, and sophisto-whimsical, Sleep Whale's atmospheric marriage of the luddite and techno worlds makes for essential listening." Lime-colored vinyl.