Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:I wanted to say thank you to nige2000 for posting the info on modding a Silverstone USB card.
no probs
im glad theres a few guys making use of it, but i thought there'd be more interest in it after giving the jcat usb card a run for its money
I was planning to buy an "audiophile" usb card, but I like the idea of DIY mods and saving money, so I ordered the 4 port Silverstone USB3.0 card, and modded it today
"audiophile" is that something to do with the pricing:)
In my mod I added a DC in jack to the bracket, and connect a little linear walwart to the jack, to feed it around 10VDC.
why 10v dc and not less?
I also added a 7805 to provide power to the molex connector, so I don't need to connect anything to the molex in.
I have an Amanero card on the other side, but it receives 3.3VDC from another source, so the 5V USB only powers one chip.
the XO and the usb chip is the most sensitive to noise, id suggest to try a battery if for nothing else a benchmark, i think its ok to power the xo and chip with same power source

tell us more about your system randy
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote:Forgotten most of it now but I think there are 12 or 14 USB ports on the Intel Zuma board and I used to switch off all but the 2 or 3 i needed in Bios...might have some screenshots of that Bios page knocking about so will post if I find any.
Yes, there are 14 USB ports on Zuma, but in the MoBo diagram that I have does not show which one is where!
Did you knew what USB# is where positioned in the MoBo, or you just tried one by one?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well its the usb2 ports that are the noisiest so if you dont need any of them you could turn them off
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:well its the usb2 ports that are the noisiest so if you dont need any of them you could turn them off
I use only 2 USB ports and the most "handy"(close to the corner) are usb 2.0, but that still does not matter.
Problem is that in the diagram it does not say which number is what USB port!
It only shows 14 ports in MoBo and does not say which one is 2.0 or 3.0, or the position! :(
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

should pick the usb ports that belong to intel usb controller and that doesn't share IRQ with your PCIe card -> DAC.

for my board, usb ports that belong to asmedia(3rd party) usb controller, they all suck, SQ wise.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:well its the usb2 ports that are the noisiest so if you dont need any of them you could turn them off
I use only 2 USB ports and the most "handy"(close to the corner) are usb 2.0, but that still does not matter.
Problem is that in the diagram it does not say which number is what USB port!
It only shows 14 ports in MoBo and does not say which one is 2.0 or 3.0, or the position! :(
think you can get a usb3 header cable for the fc5 change them usb2 slots into usb3
might be worth investigating

other than that it would likely be trial and error unless pearse knows
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

OK, let me give you a bit of my background first.

I’ve been into DIY audio for a while now, maybe 15 years. But I take extended breaks too. In an “active” period right now.
And over the years I’ve collected a bunch of parts, I have a large box of caps, another large box of heatsinks, box of assorted walwarts, etc. I’ll buy some stuff if they are cheap figuring I’ll find a use for them later. For instance I have a bunch of 3300uf surface mount oscons I bought cheap. So I can often find parts I need, and will try to make due with what I have instead of ordering.

I have a headphone based system. Current favorite cans are Mad Dog Alpha dogs. Driven by a Schiit Lyr amp.

DAC is the first generation of this one
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html

Main difference between mine and the 2nd generation is the addition of a I2S isolator circuit. Bought at a group buy at diyaudio. I am using my own box with built in “felix” power conditioning for the dac. Using Lundahl transformers for the output stage.
Only input to the dac is a Amanero USB to I2S card.

PC is:
Chassis
Lian Li PC-C34F (bought for a HTPC that was not being used, so chassis was “recycled”
Removed optical disk cage from right side (when facing the front of chassis) and disconnected/removed all chassis fans.
Motherboard MSI H81-P33
Processor Pentium G3258
Scythe Shuriken Rev B heatsink
DRAM Crucial CT25672BA1067 2GB 240 pin DIMM DDR3 ECC x 2
Power supply pico PSU ATX Power Supply 160W 12V input 20 pin ATX
Pico is installed in an "extender" cable so I can isolate voltages from the pico.
Pico powered by Astron RS-12A adjusted for 12VDC
Modsto feed in Astron 12VDC into 4 pin ATX connector on MB with Jensen 4 pole cap. Another Jensen on 12VDC into motherboard.
Storage Samsung SSD 240gb drive for music files
Storage 16Gb Western Digital Industrial CF card with CF to Sata adapter or Samsung SSD 64GB drive for OS
nige2000 wrote: no probs
im glad theres a few guys making use of it, but i thought there'd be more interest in it after giving the jcat usb card a run for its money
People are probably intimidated a little, hopefully more will try it over time.
Paul Pang card to be exact. That and Sonore are the only ones I know of.
why 10v dc and not less?
Came out of my junk drawer, it’s what I had ☺
And I figured I’m not drawing much power on the regs, so they can handle the large voltage drop. I do have another walwart I’m going to try, I’ll see if it makes a difference.
the XO and the usb chip is the most sensitive to noise, id suggest to try a battery if for nothing else a benchmark, i think its ok to power the xo and chip with same power source
See above.
And I have some LIFEPO4 batteries I want to try. I need to get some relays to disconnect the battery when I turn power off.

Other plans include adding/improving the capacitance on the silverstone USB and the CF/SATA cards.
Getting Crystek oscillators for those cards. I'm thinking about buying a couple of flea kits to power them.
Build a 3.3 and 5VDC linear to replace the pico
try different software things

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jesuscheung wrote:should pick the usb ports that belong to intel usb controller and that doesn't share IRQ with your PCIe card -> DAC.

for my board, usb ports that belong to asmedia(3rd party) usb controller, they all suck, SQ wise.
Yes, that make sense, but how to find that?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jesuscheung wrote:should pick the usb ports that belong to intel usb controller and that doesn't share IRQ with your PCIe card -> DAC.

yep that sounds about right

asmedia controller is poor enough
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:OK, let me give you a bit of my background first.

I’ve been into DIY audio for a while now, maybe 15 years. But I take extended breaks too. In an “active” period right now.
And over the years I’ve collected a bunch of parts, I have a large box of caps, another large box of heatsinks, box of assorted walwarts, etc. I’ll buy some stuff if they are cheap figuring I’ll find a use for them later. For instance I have a bunch of 3300uf surface mount oscons I bought cheap. So I can often find parts I need, and will try to make due with what I have instead of ordering.

I have a headphone based system. Current favorite cans are Mad Dog Alpha dogs. Driven by a Schiit Lyr amp.

DAC is the first generation of this one
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DAC32/index2.html

Main difference between mine and the 2nd generation is the addition of a I2S isolator circuit. Bought at a group buy at diyaudio. I am using my own box with built in “felix” power conditioning for the dac. Using Lundahl transformers for the output stage.
Only input to the dac is a Amanero USB to I2S card.

PC is:
Chassis
Lian Li PC-C34F (bought for a HTPC that was not being used, so chassis was “recycled”
Removed optical disk cage from right side (when facing the front of chassis) and disconnected/removed all chassis fans.
Motherboard MSI H81-P33
Processor Pentium G3258
Scythe Shuriken Rev B heatsink
DRAM Crucial CT25672BA1067 2GB 240 pin DIMM DDR3 ECC x 2
Power supply pico PSU ATX Power Supply 160W 12V input 20 pin ATX
Pico is installed in an "extender" cable so I can isolate voltages from the pico.
Pico powered by Astron RS-12A adjusted for 12VDC
Modsto feed in Astron 12VDC into 4 pin ATX connector on MB with Jensen 4 pole cap. Another Jensen on 12VDC into motherboard.
Storage Samsung SSD 240gb drive for music files
Storage 16Gb Western Digital Industrial CF card with CF to Sata adapter or Samsung SSD 64GB drive for OS
nige2000 wrote: no probs
People are probably intimidated a little, hopefully more will try it over time.
Paul Pang card to be exact. That and Sonore are the only ones I know of.
why 10v dc and not less?
Came out of my junk drawer, it’s what I had ☺
And I figured I’m not drawing much power on the regs, so they can handle the large voltage drop. I do have another walwart I’m going to try, I’ll see if it makes a difference.
See above.
And I have some LIFEPO4 batteries I want to try. I need to get some relays to disconnect the battery when I turn power off.

Other plans include adding/improving the capacitance on the silverstone USB and the CF/SATA cards.
Getting Crystek oscillators for those cards. I'm thinking about buying a couple of flea kits to power them.
Build a 3.3 and 5VDC linear to replace the pico
try different software things

Randy
excellent excellent stuff

ive a pang card here too its a good card once fed right

your mobo should/will be fine for feeding in direct power without the pico and work like clockwork:)

keep us informed of further work
nice to know im not the only nut case