To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

A rarity from the Spanish Baroque. We have had a few José de Nebra zarzuelas recordings before, but this is the first ever by José Castel, a name I can´t recall ever hearing before. For those of you that don´t know, a zarzuela in the 17 and 18 centuries meant a work with spoken texts and musical numbers, rather like a German Singspiel, but nothing to do with popular music theatre like in the late 19 Century zarzuelas.
This zarzuela is very charming, and the Italian influence that King Carlos III demanded from his composers is evident. At the end there is a terrifying coloratura aria that surely made the soprano hysterical.
The recording is competent, the sopranos are fine, only the tenor seems a little stretched beyond his possibilities, and young conductor Pablo Heras-Casado shows a firm grip of the music.

I always liked that form of work Pepe; that sounds interesting.

This zarzuela is very charming Fergus, actually a find, pity that this small label has a very limited distribution.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet 1 & 2

Quartetto Italiano

Beautiful music played brilliantly by this rather special ensemble. I LOVE it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image
Ludwig van Beethoven
String Quartet 1 & 2

Quartetto Italiano

Beautiful music played brilliantly by this rather special ensemble. I LOVE it.

A must have set!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schubert: String Quintet....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Schubert: String Quintet....

It is gorgeous music. I don't have that cycle and have often wondered about Rostropovich.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Schubert: String Quintet....

It is gorgeous music. I don't have that cycle and have often wondered about Rostropovich.
It is indeed wonderful music Seán and it is a fine performance all round.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bloch: String Quartets 3 & 4....

This set has been a wonderful exposure to a new sound world for me.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

King Carlos III imported Gaetano Brunetti to Madrid as his Maestro de Capilla, there he composed a variety of music: chamber, symphonies, cantatas, etc. A most able and likable composer. There are not many recordings of his music, but Concerto Köln has recorded 2 CDs of his symphonies and there are a couple of recordings of his string quartets. The very acceptable Orquesta Barroca de Sevilla invited Christophe Coin to conduct and play the cello in this fascinating sample of his music. 3 cantatas are included sung by Raquel Andueza, making the recording all the more enjoyable.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

King Carlos III imported Gaetano Brunetti to Madrid as his Maestro de Capilla, there he composed a variety of music: chamber, symphonies, cantatas, etc. A most able and likable composer. There are not many recordings of his music, but Concerto Köln has recorded 2 CDs of his symphonies and there are a couple of recordings of his string quartets. The very acceptable Orquesta Barroca de Sevilla invited Christophe Coin to conduct and play the cello in this fascinating sample of his music. 3 cantatas are included sung by Raquel Andueza, making the recording all the more enjoyable.
Another very unusual and interesting one Pepe; particularly with the involvement of Coin.