Chord Electronics Hugo DAC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
jkeny wrote:Great review & reading down further in that thread it has some more technical info from Rob Watts which is interesting!
This the Rob Watts 'Master class' on the Hugo from the chord Hugo product page
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hug ... 20(1).pptx
fixed the link

very interesting

are the hugo users sure the player still affects the sound ? wonder what Rob Watts solution to that would be.

Also, how long before all this is on a chip, the picture shows a big fpga chip which seems to do most things already.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:
jkeny wrote:Great review & reading down further in that thread it has some more technical info from Rob Watts which is interesting!
This the Rob Watts 'Master class' on the Hugo from the chord Hugo product page
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hug ... 20(1).pptx
fixed the link
Thanks
sbgk wrote: very interesting

are the hugo users sure the player still affects the sound ? wonder what Rob Watts solution to that would be.

I still think it is a case of garbage-in-garbage-out. So the better the input the better the result.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Ken Moreland

Re: Chord Electronics Hugo DAC

Post by Ken Moreland »

Gordon , yes, the player still affects the sound, just tried the same 16/44.1 track on JRiver, JPlay and MQN(24bit 2.95 I think) and the SQ was better in MQN although the first two were KS. JRiver a little woolly, Jplay better.

Switching formats however shows a major SQ leap when using DSD material and native DSD through JRiver or Jplay are superb.

KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Ken Moreland wrote:Gordon , yes, the player still affects the sound, just tried the same 16/44.1 track on JRiver, JPlay and MQN(24bit 2.95 I think) and the SQ was better in MQN although the first two were KS. JRiver a little woolly, Jplay better.

Switching formats however shows a major SQ leap when using DSD material and native DSD through JRiver or Jplay are superb.

KM
Ken,

is jplay dsd different/better than jriver dsd playback or is dsd more immune to different players ?

cheers
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

That's tough one but I think JRiver is better, there's not a lot of difference but I had some dropouts with Jplay and Jriver is easy to run, it will also convert PCM hirez to DSD on the fly and that's interesting too. Overall I think MQN wins for PCM at all sample rates and JRiver for DSD.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Ken
One further question how would you rate PCM (on MQN) Vs DSD (converted on the fly in Jriver)?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

John , Just compared a 24/96 track using MQN and JRiver converted to DSD on the fly and in my opinion MQN was cleaner, crisper although JRiver was good too but not enough.
I do have a copy of the famous Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests in DSD format and played through JRiver (or Jplay) that is streets ahead of the 16/44.1 version played through MQN.
I'm not too keen on the conversion on the fly or separately to DSD.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I switched off DSD on fly last night, and it did sound cleaner with more dynamics, so I switched to MQn 3.72 after awhile. MQn still wins, it is crispier with better micro details.
I picked up on Kernel in JR at the beginning, but I found on Naim forum that people prefer Wasapi. I went back to Wasapi last night, and it sounded as good as Kernel, if not better. It is hard to notice any difference.
My general conclusion is similar like Ken's, Hugo is in love with DSD format. The other thing that I notice is, the gap between different players and different drivers is smaller, I think Hugo is more immune on those changes than Naim V1. It is an exceptional little machine, and it'll be very interesting to see what the future will bring. We may talk something like "DAC's before Hugo, and DAC's after Hugo". Chord will come up with some reference DAC based on that technology for sure, but the rest of the world will follow as well, I guess.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Come on Aleg, no review yet, it's taking you too long....:(
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1