Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Paul Hynes SR7EHD Power Supply

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:also have not changed the 12v lead acid battery to lifepo4's yet but not sure if that will make any noticeable sound improvement.
well it depends on how much you want to keep up with the jones
it does sound faster/more agile maybe more sophisticated or delicate
15 euro for an sla it was real good value
prob 4 times that for 12v lifepo4
well lifepo4's in mine but the difference isnt truly massive
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Nigel when he is back online will deal with this much better than I can.
The mobo clocks seem to be relatively cheap (crystal)couple of euro each. I am sure Nigel checks out whatever the spec is for these clocks and matches them. The Pang card v3 has a ocxo clock and these are expensive.
All of us including Nigel I think favour(or recognise) the pang card(V1) brings an extra body (weight) to the sound.
nope not just that cheap usually under 10 euro plus shipping
but there small and easy lost if dropped and there is some wastage as you always buy spares just incase :)

i think the pang v2 card we tested adds weight as maybe a sort of flavouring which may or may not suit certain tracks overall i prefer my card due to its more revealing nature and a sort of delicate sophistication as well as a lower noise floor
there was one anomaly though and it still has me puzzled, my card didn't sound proportionally as good on tonys pc as it did on pearses pc on which it really shone, anyway more testing required we shall get to the bottom of it yet

after my audio voodoo training i will be trying out some anti-vibration on the usb chip which could possibly lead to a more solid sound
Nigels clock in my opinion was not necessarily thinner sounding but maybe edgier in sound. Is this design/noise etc don't think Nigel knows yet. The oven clock thing Pang is doing seems to do something very positive also and Nigel will have to answer whether his can get to that level without the cost.
His card is cost effective especially if doing it yourself.
id be inclined to ask ppang to send you a clock he could be as cheap a source as any
though it seems to require 5v+
My board is standard no clocks but I currently have a Nigeboard(test one) on loan and he has soldered up two clocks. Will test that over xmas but haven't chanced connecting it up until I revert to Nigel to make sure I do not blow it up. It is semi set up but still needs + and ground to be connected up to it.

I think Pearse has a board with ocxo clock installed either on the way or maybe he used it last time!!
If that turns out to be great sounding can't see Nigel coming up with a cheap clock version to beat it but
all Nigels work to date on mobo's have yielded excellent results. Ignoring all the expensive stuff and just following the basic Nige formula gets you most of the way. The eureka special sound from my experience always costs lots of bucks
well im back now so ask away
Last edited by nige2000 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Guys, it's not really worth getting too concerned about ESR below a certain point as the long wiring used to connect the batteries to the mobo defeats very low ESR. Yes, the A123 batteries have very low ESR (impednace) but it may be their ability to maintain this into the MHz region is what is important while other batteries seem to have a rising impedance at these frequencies?

I believe the Hynes PS (maybe not all?) are built along these same lines - low impedance at high freqs?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Welcome back Nigel. Did you manage to smuggle through a ton of brass in your handbag?
Too many questions to ask on this thread so will give you a shout at some point.

On the SLA's for 12v my intention would be to get them when boxing up the power supply.
No rush but also afraid to do it as the final solution is a moving feast.

For the batteries John I have them in the pc case close to the mobo and the intention if possible
is to have as many there as possible.

Still think the testing done last time was too inconclusive and haphazard to draw any definite conclusions.

BTW I do want to keep up with the Jones Nige but stop running so fast please!

Can you start a new thread on the Voodoo audio report? There is potentially a syndicated series in that area.
Did the tellus rock your boat? Dampening usb chip sounds like you have been converted. Do we need to queue up outside Healys with templates? What about all that copper crap he has in the pc? I betcha that is what blew up the pc during your visit
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

jkeny wrote:Guys, it's not really worth getting too concerned about ESR below a certain point as the long wiring used to connect the batteries to the mobo defeats very low ESR. Yes, the A123 batteries have very low ESR (impednace) but it may be their ability to maintain this into the MHz region is what is important while other batteries seem to have a rising impedance at these frequencies?

I believe the Hynes PS (maybe not all?) are built along these same lines - low impedance at high freqs?
I would agree if your cables are long that the benefit would be minimized but my intention is to have the battery packs right at the motherboard and run long wires from the "chargers".

We are in complete agreement that the true benefit of the A123s is their relatively flat impedance compared to any regulator. Even the HYNES starts rising well before "the mhz region".

Adding parallel sections will be something I do after I figure out (otherwise known as someone showing me how explicitly) how to do the MB clock mods and the nige2000 USB card (and a host of other mods on the list). Must admit I have not tried as hard as I should to this point. Need to order the USB card ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Judging by the last couple posts, I realize now that I completely have wrong design with my Battery box!!
My DC cables from batteries to SSD's & clocks are 75cm long.

I wish that I knew this before I started and probably make different "arrangements"! :(
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

sima66 wrote:Judging by the last couple posts, I realize now that I completely have wrong design with my Battery box!!

I wish that I knew this before I started and probably make different "arrangements"! :(
DIY audio is a learn as you go kind of thing (at least it is for me), and there is always a better way to do things.

But 75cm is kind of long. I don't have batteries, but I do have linear power supplies. Ideally, the voltage regulator would be right next to the motherboard, but I put them about 6-9 inches away from the mb because I needed switches to control power. So even if your batteries would in the same case, you still need a switch between the battery and load, and this adds wire.

You could use a relay to shorten the wire, and I plan to eventually do this.

One thing you might try is to put in smaller batteries, I was thinking AA size, next to the motherboard. Hopefully the little batteries would help keep the voltage stable. Kind of like using larger and smaller value caps.

And speaking of caps, I would also consider putting in some caps on the power lines, next to the motherboard. They will help at the higher frequencies. I put in Jensen 4 poles, which are expensive but I had them left over from previous projects.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
tony

Post by tony »

This is were I am in total ignorance but reading various bits about Paul Hynes and power implementations and it starts to make a tiny bit of sense.

On the capacitors are you suggesting just adding them into the line? By this I mean just cut the live and ground and insert capacitor or is there a lot more to it then that?

I can't understand how so many people on other forums don't seem to get the connection between basic power supply and more complicated/expensive/ better engineered or whatever components.

My interest in this would be trying to close the gap between Paul Hynes supply and diy batter solution.

Relay is something I have to put in also as I am concerned about draining batteries even though I currently have two and disconnect the 12v live on shutdown
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

sima66 wrote:Judging by the last couple posts, I realize now that I completely have wrong design with my Battery box!!

OR you could be like me and keep delaying assembling something while you search for the best solution to the most arcane problems which requires ordering some part from someone ...

I think you should be proud that you put something together and you are listening to it. You can always refine when the mood strikes.

Take care,
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sima66 wrote:My DC cables from batteries to SSD's & clocks are 75cm long.
"! :(
If it is any consolation Adam the Hynes Cables are at least 80cms long, they are silver coated solid copper core and as stiff as hell so I have to be careful not to bend them too much or too often.
Cheers, Pearse.