MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:Aleg, after all this time, can't believe you've got problems.

does rewrite still work ?

Will probably never what caused this freak incident, but all is back running OK again even with mqnplay v238.
Powered down every component in the replay chain and disconnected every cable, for the whole night, this morning took the 2012R2 server back into GUI-mode without AO, updated 2012R2 to latest releases.
Now all is running OK again in GUI-mode.

Will bring it back into Core-mode and apply AO again.

Pffffff...
Frustrating. Had a look at 100 and 101 and couldn't see what would cause any issues.

Anyway uploaded 239 and 240, I like 240, a bit more detail with both of them, 240 maybe a bit better balanced.

think 240 is the best I've heard for being able to follow individual instruments, particularly impressive with classical music, don't think I can improve on it.

someone sent me this link

https://github.com/fulldecent/system-bus-radio

uses radio frequency noise emitted by the cpu to play a song that can be picked up on an am radio.
janh

Post by janh »

sbgk wrote: think 240 is the best I've heard ..
+1
Definitely the best. It is a pleasure to listen to. Thank you so much.

Jan H.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H with PPA OCXO module. i7-4790T, 800MHz. 8GB Ram, 800MHz.
PPA 2-rail LPSU & Pico. JCAT battery for OS-SSD and PPA v3 USBcard.
Server 2012 R2, AO 1.40. APL HiFi DAC-S, upd. Only use 1644 .wav
Beresford

Post by Beresford »

I too have been trying wtfplayer recently.
In my system it sounds very clean and energetic, with virtually no digital glare, and it is less hassle to install than MQn.

But, testing it on piano and harpsichord, within the notes I heard a wooden or wiry sound that had me tired very quickly.
Compared to MQn the bass is slightly overdone, the timbres slightly off, and it is harder to make out complex textures in larger scale music.
So for me wtf does not yet have the glorious delivery of some recent versions of MQn.
Instead it sounds more like a good simple player in a very quiet OS, and MQn, with its optimised handling of core processes, written in assembler rather than C++, remains top dog.
(This was all with wtfplayer, not the default uwtfplayer, which I disliked.)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Beresford wrote:I too have been trying wtfplayer recently.
In my system it sounds very clean and energetic, with virtually no digital glare, and it is less hassle to install than MQn.

But, testing it on piano and harpsichord, within the notes I heard a wooden or wiry sound that had me tired very quickly.
Compared to MQn the bass is slightly overdone, the timbres slightly off, and it is harder to make out complex textures in larger scale music.
So for me wtf does not yet have the glorious delivery of some recent versions of MQn.
Instead it sounds more like a good simple player in a very quiet OS, and MQn, with its optimised handling of core processes, written in assembler rather than C++, remains top dog.
(This was all with wtfplayer, not the default uwtfplayer, which I disliked.)
I found the opposite with wtf in that I wondered where the bass had gone, I do quickly get tired of the sound though, no matter what settings I've tried. Brings back the bad memories of trying to get the Squeezebox touch optimised to not sound like a computer. The interesting thing for me is that with Linux you can in theory get the player very close to the usb device and I would like to hear what that sounds like.

Think mqn v240 has a great mid that seems to make it sound very musical and also has airyness and bass slam, so will probably be the last version. Still have some things to try with rewrite and also getting the different resolutions working.
minionas

Post by minionas »

Though i like wtfplayer/linux as very clean environment with blacker background and less fuss, but mqn is just a better player still for me. Its just high end with better texture, air, details.
240 is a treat sbgk. Well done!
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded play v241, a bit closer to the music, now you're on the edge of the stage.
minionas

Post by minionas »

With 241 is like getting even stronger "magnifying lens on your ears" :) you can "see" everything better..again..amazing..
Im lost in Private Investigations of Dire Straits..
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

minionas wrote:With 241 is like getting even stronger "magnifying lens on your ears" :) you can "see" everything better..again..amazing..
Yes, quite an amazing version (v240 had some unnecessary instructions which I removed and has led to this leap), best by some way, real live feeling to the sound given the amount of detail in the sound. Have tried and don't think I can improve on it.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
minionas wrote:With 241 is like getting even stronger "magnifying lens on your ears" :) you can "see" everything better..again..amazing..
Yes, quite an amazing version (v240 had some unnecessary instructions which I removed and has led to this leap), best by some way, real live feeling to the sound given the amount of detail in the sound. Have tried and don't think I can improve on it.
You're making me curious. I'm DAC-less at the mo, so can 't join in with the fun.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:
You're making me curious. I'm DAC-less at the mo, so can 't join in with the fun.
Has Hugo failed, or you're switching to something else?
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1