What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

DaveF wrote:Image
I liked those concerti a lot. The Freiburger Barockorchester is playing here on the 21st.
Have tickets :-)
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
I liked those concerti a lot. The Freiburger Barockorchester is playing here on the 21st.
Have tickets :-)
Pepe, I adore the Freiburger Barackorchester, enjoy, I'm sure you will.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

quite simply sumptuous...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote: no one can compare with Mozart....
Pepe, I know I quote you out of context but do you believe that Mozart is superior to all other composers in opera and beyond?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:Image

quite simply sumptuous...
I have very few Jordi Savall recordings, his Bach Brandenburg and very little else, they leave me cold.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ my Savall collection is also rather limited, but his Biber choral disks are for me, right on the money...
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
Pepe, I know I quote you out of context but do you believe that Mozart is superior to all other composers in opera and beyond?
Not only I, but Goethe, Haydn, Karl Böhm, Charles Dutoit, Sören Kierkegaard, Arthur Rubinstein, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Ferenc Fricsay, Eugéne Delacroix, Johannes Brahms, Anton Bruckner, Giuseppe Verdi, Lucchino Visconti, Ingmar Bergman and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau among many others thought so.

Once Rossini was asked who was the greatest composer, he answered: Beethoven, and when asked about Mozart he said: Mozart was not a composer, he was Music itself.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ my Savall collection is also rather limited, but his Biber choral disks are for me, right on the money...
I was probably unlucky with the Bach recording.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Seán wrote:
Not only I, but Goethe, Haydn, Karl Böhm, Charles Dutoit, Sören Kierkegaard, Arthur Rubinstein, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Ferenc Fricsay, Eugéne Delacroix, Johannes Brahms, Anton Bruckner, Giuseppe Verdi, Lucchino Visconti, Ingmar Bergman and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau among many others thought so.

Once Rossini was asked who was the greatest composer, he answered: Beethoven, and when asked about Mozart he said: Mozart was not a composer, he was Music itself.
Who am I to argue with them? Was any thought given to Bach I wonder? I must say that I have mentioned Mahler, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, et al, on other forums and on Facebook too and none elicits the adoration that Bach attracts.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Once Rossini was asked who was the greatest composer, he answered: Beethoven, and when asked about Mozart he said: Mozart was not a composer, he was Music itself.[/quote]
Who am I to argue with them? Was any thought given to Bach I wonder? I must say that I have mentioned Mahler, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, et al, on other forums and on Facebook too and none elicits the adoration that Bach attracts.[/quote]

No composer ever was more celebrated (concerts, recordings, lectures, expositions, etc) than Mozart in the 1992 Bicentennial, not even Bach in 1985.
Mozart is the most recorded composer ever, and the one most often recorded.
He also was #1 in a survey among the USA top symphony orchestras of who was their favorite composer.

And did you know that Mahler´s last word before he died was "Mozart"?