Lenco TurnTable Self Build

ConorW

Lenco TurnTable Self Build

Post by ConorW »

Hi All
I thought I would share a quick update and a few photos of a Lenco self build project I took on.

About 18months ago I was looking to buy a turntable and sought some advice from the forum. Thanks to Fran's advice, I held off on buying a new TT and instead bought an old Lenco GL75 on eBay for about £75. These things are from the 60's and the platter is heavy and well built.

Fran kindly let me see one that he had built and gave me great advice before I embarked on the work. It was certainly a great project to take on and I have a great sense of achievement in getting it done. I think it sounds really good. I can make several adjustments now to enhance sound quality.

A quick synopsis of the steps I went through were
1) Disassemble, clean, oil and generally take every component apart. Get rid of any old elements - plinth, arm etc
2) Redesign the old Lenco metal unit, cutting and shaping, spraying etc
3) Build a heavy plinth to support the platter. I designed a shape and got the cutting templates from Lenco Heaven
4) Lots of woodworking! Cutting bonding, etc.
5) Tricky wood veneering, french polishing etc.
6) Bought a Rega RB300 tone arm and Dynavector 10x5 cartridge
7) The hardest part was deciding how best to mount the tonearm, and measuring accurately spindle to pivot distance. Still haven't done this well and can improve it.

Anyway, it is pretty much done now. I did build it in about a 2 weeks, had it working for a year but l have just completed the veneering, design etc. in the last month.

A selection of Photos available here http://1drv.ms/U9VcJE

I would recomend anyone thinking of a project like this to just do it. I pushed myself on it but you can reduce the amount of effort required by simplifying the plinth design and finish.
Appreciate the help and motivation, Fran!

Thanks

Conor
Last edited by ConorW on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
fergus

Re: Lenco TurnTable Self Build

Post by fergus »

Congratulations on a great job Conor. It looks fantastic and if it sounds half as good as it looks you are on to a real winner. Well done for sticking with the project and seeing it through. I can understand your sense of achievement and you can be really proud of your creation; it is a real "one off". Well done again!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

hi i also was helping out a friend at a sony lenco it is an older version of yours -it was staying pretty origional for now -i am still working at it i cleaned platter bearing and put in sewing machine oil and it run out the bottom of bearing -i have to get a slightly thicker oil
i split the motor but the origional grease was excellent
i took away the springs under the top plate and replaced with a solid plastic pieces
it is a work in progress it is a sony 5022 model i think it has not got the solid platter
everything is excellent condition thanks for shaing with us
Seán

Post by Seán »

The turntable looks superb, well done Conor.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

That looks really nice Conor well done great piece of furniture or art. It is great to pull a project like that together. Nigel could learn a thing or two about the finished product for his PC audio builds!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Well done Conor,
Your new/old TT looks like it means business, fair play to you.

I have a similar project awaiting my attention sitting in the shed, I really must get back to it.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fantastic work there Conor. Looks like lots of hard work went into that TT and it has paid off.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A work of Art indeed!!! Looks great!!

That tonearm... looks modified...... the counterweight appears to be from a technoarm? Am I right? Looks great anyway!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I remember you telling me about this project when it was just a notion Conor! You've come a long way! Well done, very impressive, I look forward to hearing it sometime.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Looks great Conor!!! Well worth the effort, aesthetically and sonically!
Do or do not, there is no try