My new hifi journey

DaveF

My new hifi journey

Post by DaveF »

The first piece of HiFi equipment that I've bought in nearly 5 years arrived earlier in the week - a Quad Artera Play+ CD player. My next hifi journey now begins (without the meltdown hopefully) and while I still had some bits from my old system which all came out of storage a while ago, one major piece missing was some sort of digital playback system. I trawled through many reviews of various players over the last few months and to be honest I found it very difficult to shortlist a few nevermind actually choose one. What's more is that this would be bought 'blind' given the current climate which can be pretty risky when it comes to Hifi. I had some specific requirements which helped narrow down the choices. Firstly, it had to be a CD player instead of a standalone DAC. I have a decent sized Classical CD collection so there was no way in hell I was going to sit there and rip it all to harddisk. Secondly it had to support high res inputs given that a lot of new Classical releases are now only available as downloads. Thirdly it had to be reasonably priced. Gone are the days that I'll drop several K on such a player. This is mainly due to the fact that vinyl will be still be the main source of music for me and I already have plans in place to overhaul the entire vinyl playback system. So something very competent but not silly money was key. Next, it had to be from a reputable company with a decent internal DAC and solid engineering behind it. Far too many CDP's/DACs that I've seen the past had questionable build quality not to mention being very sparse on the inside. Finally, it had to have a smooth, but not overly detailed presentation nor was it to lean on the overly lush side either. The biggest hate I have of any piece of equipment is an overly bright treble. This is a big bugbear of mine and I find some HiFi companies 'guilty' of this in an attempt to impress. The Stax headphones and amp combo is fairly neutral so it tends to allow any traits of the sources shine through. So whatever character the CDP had I'd be fairly confident that that's what would come through the headphones. Again, in theory. You just never know. We've all been there.

After much mulling, I finally settled on the Quad. It ticked pretty much every box above. It’s a beautifully engineered piece of equipment, has a beefy linear power supply, an ESS Sabre DAC that supports up to 32/384kHz and DSD256 via some of the digital inputs.
Soundwise, I’m happy to report that it has lived up to my expectations, at least from CD playback anyway. It has a lovely smooth and open sound that just lets the music flow. It does it without the fireworks or fanfare and invites for long fatigue-fee listening sessions which was also a key requirement. Pricewise it comes in at around 1500Euro which had me worried if I was setting the bar too low given some of the previous CD players I’ve owned, but I need not have worried, the player is everything I had hoped for. Perhaps CD player tech has come along way in recent years.
As for PC audio playback, I haven’t tested any of that yet. I still don’t know what such a system will be. I do have a monstrous tower PC for gaming that has the bejaysus overclocked out of it, which goes against everything the CA lads say regarding noise etc. Perhaps getting an old laptop and daphile is the answer. I don’t know. One thing is that convenience will be priority here so the hair shirt approach is out. I do like the idea behind the Roon Nucleus but I don’t have the library to justify that cost. We’ll see. For now, I have plenty of CD’s to get through. I’ll post more when I get a better sense of what the player can do.
A few pics below of the Quad. The top is made of a heavy piece of dark glass which isnt obvious from the pics. Oh and kudos to Cloney's too who had Quad ship the unit direct to me. Nice.

Image20200523_141552

Image20200523_141603

Image20200523_141540
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Re: My new hifi journey

Post by cybot »

Nice write up Dave. The CDP itself has a beautiful 'hewn from stone' look about it too. Enjoy 😊
markof

Post by markof »

Well wear as they say in Cork.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

It is a nice looking machine alright. Best of luck with it. Next step...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Oooh, this is exciting, I don't think there's been a "new" new hifi purchase here in ages. I have a good idea where you're coming from in all of this, Dave, so I can really appreciate this write-up. It certainly looks most excellent, and your description has me thinking I'd enjoy it myself, which is dangerous in its own way...

Hope it brings you much enjoyment. Eh, what's next?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm Eh, what's next?
Where do I start! Well in no particular order:

Stax: I'm upgrading to the next rung in the ladder of the Stax headphones plus amp or energizer as they call it. The next energizer up is supposed to be a lovely sounding version with valves and comes with a bit of a legendary reputation. The headphones LR-700 will be the natural pairing for the it. I think its a pretty safe upgrade as it's more of the same with a little warmth and valve magic added. The laws of diminishing returns kick in pretty rapidly once you reach this particular model in the range. The headphones and energizer can be bought as a package which saves a few quid. I'd much rather speakers of course but this will be the focal point of the hifi for a few years to come.

Vinyl: I'm pretty much decided already on most of this. The Michell Gyrodec SE will most likely be the TT with the Techno A arm. I'm generally not much of a fan of the skeletal looking TT's but the Gyrodec is the exception. It looks fantastic and it has the engineering to back it up. A very well regarded TT with several upgrade options to take it up another level.
Cartridgewise I'm thinking of a Hana ML or a Micro Benz Wood. The Hana is supposed to be a very musical cart and punches well well above its weight. A bit of giant killer from a Japanese company that have been in the business for ages. Word round the campfire is that there may be one appearing elsewhere on the forum soonish. ;-)

Phonostage: This is the one I'm struggling with. Solid state or valve? Whatever it ends up being it must be fairly configurable to accept a few different carts. I had Icon Audio in mind but then I've read several folk on other forums having some reliability issues with them so that has put me off. The Lehmann Audio Decade is one on the list but I've kinda narrowed it down to either the Roma Synthesis 79DC or the Gold Note PH10. Both Italian. Of course I havent heard either but the Gold Note has been getting some stellar reviews. It can be upgraded with a substantial outboard power supply also. It's a smart looking unit especially in its 2 box form. I believe they are adding a separate output valve stage at some point.

As you'll have seen from the photos above all of my gear is resting on my Vinyl shelving, hardly ideal so a proper HiFi rack is well overdue.

Btw, I found my PowerInspired AG1500 AC regenerator in the attic last weekend. I could have sworn I sold it at some point so it was a nice surprise to come across it. Hadnt been used in 6 years but it's in the system now providing nice clean power. The loading is reading barely over 0% so it's complete overkill for what I have. But peace of mind an all that.

Anyway that ended up being a bit longer than I expected. Of course much of the above wont happen until this terrible Covid crisis passes or subsides. Not going to be be silly and risk anything or anyone. I've waited this long, I can wait some more.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:37 pm
Diapason wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm Eh, what's next?
Vinyl: I'm pretty much decided already on most of this. The Michell Gyrodec SE will most likely be the TT with the Techno A arm. I'm generally not much of a fan of the skeletal looking TT's but the Gyrodec is the exception. It looks fantastic and it has the engineering to back it up. A very well regarded TT with several upgrade options to take it up another level.
Cartridgewise I'm thinking of a Hana ML or a Micro Benz Wood. The Hana is supposed to be a very musical cart and punches well well above its weight. A bit of giant killer from a Japanese company that have been in the business for ages. Word round the campfire is that there may be one appearing elsewhere on the forum soonish. ;-)
Ok, I'll admit it! I've been looking lustfully at the HANA range for quite some time and now the opportunity presents itself. I did consider the Dynovector DV XX2 MKII, Benz Glider S and the Audio Technia ART 9 as well but, on balance, and opting for something new and "safe" I expect to be ordering the HANA ML tomorrow. All the above are low output moving coil.

I'll also be taking delivery of a certain Gyrodec that was advertised here. I did look at some other turntables but it would be a lot of hassle (ferry and car trip) and I wasn't confident of back up from the seller on an older less known deck - a Well Tempered Reference. Again, like Dave, I don't normally like skeletal perspex decks (been there) but I heard an original Gyrodec in my own system over Christmas and was impressed. That was an example with more than a few issues and still I liked it! I've also heard this imminent upgraded Michell Gyrodec in the owner's house and liked it. A year ago my (new) source of choice would have been similar versions of the HANA and Gyrodec so my journey has come full circle.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Oh this is great stuff all round!

I always wanted a Gyrodec from looks alone. It sounds like you're both on a very enjoyable path.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
james

Post by james »

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ped ... e.html

http://www.pedersensgyro.dk/

This is one of a set of interesting articles on tnt-audio about non-reversible modifications to the Gyro-Dec. You would have to be really convinced that the modifications would work before trying them.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

james wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 pm http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ped ... e.html

http://www.pedersensgyro.dk/

This is one of a set of interesting articles on tnt-audio about non-reversible modifications to the Gyro-Dec. You would have to be really convinced that the modifications would work before trying them.
The Orbe upgrade is reversible and I have an original platter ordered just for that purpose! I simply have to know if the Orbe platter, in my own system/room is such an improvement. Shallow I know but I love the rotating gold weights hanging from the older platters - that''s not the only reason I'm going to retrofit the original but it's enough! That said I might put the Orbe platter back the next day. but I need to know!