Tom Evans Phonostages-Experiences?

DaveF

Tom Evans Phonostages-Experiences?

Post by DaveF »

I know there has been a few owners of TE phonostages here in the past so I'm looking to hear your thoughts on them. Do they have a 'house' sound and if so how would you describe it? Are we talking warm lush or more on the leaner dry side of things? Also what do you get as you move up the range?
Yes I know I could simply google much of this but I'd like to get some feel of what the owner experiences have been. Of course a home demo is critical but first I want to see if a can shortlist a few. Thanks!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Re: Tom Evans Phonostages-Experiences?

Post by Ivor »

I had one and it was fine. Am I damming with feint praise? Not really.
I expect a phono stage or any amp for that matter to disappear, the Tom Evans does that. I have to say I was impressed my the Synthesis Roma phono stage that The Listening Suite had (a brief enough "in shop" listen) but they don't seem to have it anymore. There's a lot of choices out there.

EDIT:
apologies... they do have it but tube phone stages are listed separately for some odd reason.

https://www.thelisteningsuite.ie/valve-phono-stages/
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have a Tom Evans phonostage and I love it. I am using it with a Clearaudio LE turntable and Primare I21 integrated amplifier into SA1750 speakers.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Seán wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:31 pm I have a Tom Evans phonostage and I love it.
It is detailed and uncoloured which is pretty much what you want from a phono stage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 pm I have to say I was impressed my the Synthesis Roma phono stage that The Listening Suite had (a brief enough "in shop" listen) .
I got in touch with them a couple of months ago about it and they have one available to demo. Maybe next month if the restrictions ease again I might be able to get a demo. The Stax setup is fairly portable so a 'proper' audition is doable in the shop.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:36 pm
Ivor wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 pm I have to say I was impressed my the Synthesis Roma phono stage that The Listening Suite had (a brief enough "in shop" listen) .
I got in touch with them a couple of months ago about it and they have one available to demo. Maybe next month if the restrictions ease again I might be able to get a demo. The Stax setup is fairly portable so a 'proper' audition is doable in the shop.
Excellent. Obviously I have nothing to do with the shop but it seemed like an real option.

ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Dave
I had the same Tom Evans that Ivor had, an entry level ~2005 Microgroove. The sound was good for its price but not exceptional. I believe the bigger and current Groove+ Model very good. Cloney had one for sale last year but I didn’t get to audition it.

I ended up buyImg a pre owned Audio Research PH7 from them. I am really happy with it, incredible detail and true to the recordings. The newer Reference models also get rave reviews.

Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I use a microgroove plus, the sq is a massive step up from the microgroove.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I can’t comment on any of the Tom Evans gear, but I have heard the Arcam phono stage, it’s exceptionally good for the price. For a 300-350 or so phono stage it is exceptional value for the money.

But synergy is very important in a system and tbh if I was to blow a wad of money on cart the Ortofon Winfield Ti would be it.

From what I heard at the demo some time ago...that cart was the “ pièce de résistance”

That cart on a high mass platter, 10” tonearm or more into a good phonostage would be sublime indeed.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

3k sterling for the windfeld. Thats serious coin alright, you'd want the entire rest of chain to keep up with it.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try