Mains Supply

Saxman

Mains Supply

Post by Saxman »

Hi All
Has anybody had experience of using a Mains Regeneration Unit as for example sold by PS Audio or a Balanced Mains Supply unit.
The reviews are mixed as to the benefits of a regeneration unit and in some cases favour the balanced mains units.
The price differences are quite stark withe the Regeration Units being more expensive.
Look forward to your thoughts
Thanks
Alan
Diapason

Re: Mains Supply

Post by Diapason »

I had a Power Inspired AG1500 back when I had the big system, and I thought it brought a lot of benefit to sources especially. I had very variable sound day to day that seemed to stabilise when I added it, so I'm certainly a believer. That said, I found the fans annoying.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Thanks interesting
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I’ve no experience with them, or what different types exist etc.

However domestic electrical items require unbalanced AC supplies.

Fuse protection ( which is a safety device) is normally only found on the line wire, not the neutral.

Technically / legally from a safety perspective it’s not advisable to operate unbalanced equipment on a balanced supply.

As for sound quality improvement I can’t comment, but from a electrically perspective AC is created best by a rotating machine in which rotating magnetic lines of force pass through various conductors.

Quality again depends on speed stability and the perfection of the windings of the stator. Again all adding to the perfect sinusoidal wave form.

There loads of stuff out there running on switch mode power supplies, in which voltage is converted from AC to DC, from DC to high frequency AC and finally back to DC again. It works well for computers etc but pollution of the grid / building electrical supply can cause problems for other electrical consumers.

You might be better off putting the money into a better source or set of speakers?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Adrian
Won't argue with what you are saying the mire research I have done on this the less convinced they are of any tangible benefit. Especially where there is a stable grid voltage which there.is in Ireland
Plus filters in the capacitors supplying the transformers on the mono locks are massive and transformers are equally efficient.
Various reviews indicated that they were of benefit where there is a unstable grid voltage.
Australia appears to have this issue and there is seemingly a huge market for used mains generators and balanced power supplied despite safety concerns.
Just. Buy some more records
Cheers
Alan
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think a lot depends on your wiring too. I'd say when our house was built there was no shortcut left unfollowed, and I wouldn't be confident about any of it. I've said this before, but one night I was listening away in the mancave when suddenly the sound went to s**t. I could literally hear it happen. I popped out to the kitchen and discovered my wife had just put on the kettle.

Like everything, horses for courses etc.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Saxman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 pm Hi Adrian
Won't argue with what you are saying the mire research I have done on this the less convinced they are of any tangible benefit. Especially where there is a stable grid voltage which there.is in Ireland
Plus filters in the capacitors supplying the transformers on the mono locks are massive and transformers are equally efficient.
Various reviews indicated that they were of benefit where there is a unstable grid voltage.
Australia appears to have this issue and there is seemingly a huge market for used mains generators and balanced power supplied despite safety concerns.
Just. Buy some more records
Cheers
Alan
Not just Australia which has problems, South Africa has gone very bad, rolling blackouts and higher bills.

All because these utilities have been loaded up with so much debt there’s no money to pay for equipment / spares.

The debt of course was for election campaigns and political graft.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Maybe don't realise how lucky we are
tony

Post by tony »

I had a Power inspired regenerator the 500W version. I used it on and off over the years. It was used on the valve amp simply because the supply into the house fluctuating a bit and was sometimes down to 214v. I wanted a steady regenerated supply to the amp. The logic in my head was this would protect the transformers from any fluctuations. The DA88S took care of that by eventually frying the regenerator. Using that amp brought the load close to the limit and eventually it did some damage. I now run everything off the mains and no issues.

TBH I couldn't say I eve could detect any change one way or the other. Some people think it works wonders or gives improvements with sources but dulls amps. For me it was for peace of mind.

As I have got older I am inclined to think money spent on improving the components themselves is a wiser option. In your case upgrading your speakers or amp is a big leap.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Thanks narrow escape by the sound of it. Confirms a lot of what I have read.
There fire will resign the idea to the bin.
Will sit back and enjoy what I have and stop dreaming of additions to a already great system which in all honesty needs nothing to improve it
Thanks
Alan