What's the difference between a digital coaxial cable and a standard rca interconnect?

Diapason

What's the difference between a digital coaxial cable and a standard rca interconnect?

Post by Diapason »

I may have asked this before, but if I connect a digital source to a DAC using a standard-issue RCA interconnect cable, is there any reason to expect a difference from a "proper" digital cable? Is the spec different?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Re: What's the difference between a digital coaxial cable and a standard rca interconnect?

Post by Ciaran »

The digital cable theoretically needs to support a wider bandwidth than the analogue cable, but I'm sure the analogue cable would work. Would you hear a difference? I wouldn't put money on it! The longer it is the more difference it will (would theoretically) make.
Diapason

Re: What's the difference between a digital coaxial cable and a standard rca interconnect?

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Ciaran. Using half a bog-standard "in the box" interconnect is giving a more stable signal than an admittedly cheap Toslink, so I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
hudo

Post by hudo »

Digital cable needs to be rated at 75ohm.
Not sure whats rating of the regular RCA interconnect though
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

A standard RCA cable will work fine, but won't meet the engineering standard for S/PDIF standard.

The "proper" cable will be coaxial - a centre conductor surrounded by a shield that's grounded, and will be impedance matched at both ends. That means the high speed signal that is passed down the cable doesn't meet odd "obstacles" which can cause some disruption and degrade the signal. "Proper" cable would have BNC terminations at both ends, which no RCA cable has, so there's that as well. Whether you'd hear much difference is a whole other thing. You won't do any harm anyway.
Do or do not, there is no try
Terry

Post by Terry »

Ask your wife.
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
james

Post by james »

I bought a digital cable off a member of this forum a few years ago. He was also selling standard audio cables and I bought some of those also. They were identical. I looked up the company (English) and basically their digital cable was a mono version of their stereo cable. Can't remember the name of the company (highly regarded) but could look it up.
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you, all very interesting I must say.