SOLD Eist Dubh Speakers for sale.

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Ivor

SOLD Eist Dubh Speakers for sale.

Post by Ivor »

It is with great reluctance and after many months pondering that I'm putting by Eist Dubhs up for sale.

This are in solid walnut with gold (coloured!) drivers - I asked for this finish initially for the look of it but the sound is, to my ears anyway, warmer and more detailed because of it. The wood is quite thick and nicely bevelled. It's not just the facia but also the base that's done in walnut.
I include Ceraball feet on these as I found they worked best.

I'm asking €1600 including the feet.
IMAG1237.jpg
IMAG1237.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
The attachment IMAG1237.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMAG1236_1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMAG1232.jpg is no longer available
The attachment IMAG1231.jpg is no longer available
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Re: Eist Dubh Speakers for sale.

Post by Diapason »

I'm surprised, Ivor. What's next?

Good luck with the sale and all that. Somebody is going to get some nice speakers there!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Yes Ivor, what's next?

Good luck with the sale......
MooseTrackz

Post by MooseTrackz »

Ivor are you mad?
ooooooooooooooooooh i like that
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'll start with the last question first.... possibly but I've given this a lot of thought. Or was that just a question about my sanity in general? You're not the first to have brought that up recently.

as for "what's next?" Well....
I've always had a soft spot for those old BBC monitors and speakers with that DNA. I loved the Harbeth speakers Noel had upstairs in Cloney's and anytime I've heard speakers from that bloodline I've been impressed. Last January I had a chance at a pair of Rogers LS6a speakers (from circa 1990), larger than most of that BBC lineage and sitting half way in the Rogers range so, to my mind, more a domestic than a studio monitor. I took them home and simply fell in love with them.
Having gone from Quad Electrostatics to the Eist "horn" design I wasn't expecting to be so taken with the Rogers, they were after all quite conventional and simple box speakers but they do seem to do a lot of things right to my years. No they're not "better" than either Eist or Quads (whatever "better" means) but they do have a warm airy sound that gets me involved in the music. Like the Eists they're very well suited to valves and vinyl.
In an ideal world I'd keep the Eists as well, and that was always my original plan, but I have limited space and a limited hifi budget so after much soul searching, speaker swapping and hand wringing I've finally arrived at the decision to reluctantly sell the Eist Dubhs.

LS6a.jpg
LS6a.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 981 times

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
sebna

Post by sebna »

I heard Rogers on HiFiWam show 2-3 years ago with tape and all BBC hardware as it would be used in the studio and.... it was best sounding system I have had a chance to listen to (not that i listen to that many).
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 am I'll start with the last question first.... possibly but I've given this a lot of thought. Or was that just a question about my sanity in general? You're not the first to have brought that up recently.

as for "what's next?" Well....
I've always had a soft spot for those old BBC monitors and speakers with that DNA. I loved the Harbeth speakers Noel had upstairs in Cloney's and anytime I've heard speakers from that bloodline I've been impressed. Last January I had a chance at a pair of Rogers LS6a speakers (from circa 1990), larger than most of that BBC lineage and sitting half way in the Rogers range so, to my mind, more a domestic than a studio monitor. I took them home and simply fell in love with them.
Having gone from Quad Electrostatics to the Eist "horn" design I wasn't expecting to be so taken with the Rogers, they were after all quite conventional and simple box speakers but they do seem to do a lot of things right to my years. No they're not "better" than either Eist or Quads (whatever "better" means) but they do have a warm airy sound that gets me involved in the music. Like the Eists they're very well suited to valves and vinyl.
In an ideal world I'd keep the Eists as well, and that was always my original plan, but I have limited space and a limited hifi budget so after much soul searching, speaker swapping and hand wringing I've finally arrived at the decision to reluctantly sell the Eist Dubhs.
Well said Ivor! You've tapped into the golden age of speaker design and they don't come any better than the lineage you've spoken about above. All you need now, like myself, is a pipe and slippers. Static free, of course ;) You just cannot beat a little bit of warmth and airiness as oppposed to hyper transparency and ultra detail. After all a home is not a studio.......unless you want it to be. Enjoy......
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:35 pm... You just cannot beat a little bit of warmth and airiness as oppposed to hyper transparency and ultra detail.
To tell the truth there's loads of transparency and lots of micro detail... but not so much that it's tiring. They deliver those qualities along with warmth and space. If they have a problem it's that they can be perceived to be a little slow and sluggish which can sound a little less defined in the bass but really they're fine, positioned correctly they deliver an accurate if not earth shattering bass. They're not fast like so many modern speakers but that's ok by me. Like I say they're not actually better than the Eist but they deliver a lot of what I'm looking for in a system - the smile inducing musicality that is always my first requirement.

tweber

Post by tweber »

the smile inducing musicality that is always my first requirement.
A most important attribute in any equipment in my opinion - nice speakers glws!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 pm
the smile inducing musicality that is always my first requirement.
A most important attribute in any equipment in my opinion - nice speakers glws!!
THE most important attribute you can have but only after you've learned from experience. Shiny and bright lit is most definitely not the way to go. My friend (ProAc Response One's) wasn't keen on my new Howard's back in the day for all the obvious reasons. He knows now that his judgement was on the hasty side......