Site Admin

Re: Munich hi end 2020

Post by Fran »

Raging. Just saw it's cancelled....
Do or do not, there is no try
sdiesel77

Re: RE: Re: Munich hi end 2020

Post by sdiesel77 »

Fran wrote:Raging. Just saw it's cancelled....
What !!!!!?
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Where did you see it?
hudo

Post by hudo »

Announced on their official Facebook profile.

And I saved 10€ on non-refundable hotel tickets:(
I assume Aer lingus tickets are always non-refundable, don't even have to check that out.
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Indeed !!!! CRAP CRAP CRAP !!!!! :(
Well, depending on the situation, if not getting worst in May, I'll still be going there for a nice weekend.

https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Pity. I saw it earlier alright. Maybe the smaller show in the other local hotel might still go ahead, although I doubt it. Looks like a weekend in Munich....
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

I am glad that I didn't book anything given what has transpired. I had a gut feeling that this was going to happen, though. When you see big trade fairs like that telecommunications one in Barcelona cancelled, Serie A league matches, the Chinese Grand Prix, the Rugby Six Nations and the Geneva Car Show yesterday morning, you just knew that High End 2020 would follow suit. It's hugely disappointing. I just hope all those companies who couldn't wait to transfer all manufacturing etc. to China now realize what an enormous blunder they have made. The world is in the grip of China because of its bizarre culinary practices, Bat Soup for Goodness Sake! Quite apart from our audio obsession, this has the potential to seriously harm the world economy. People in the media refer to China as 'the factory of the world'. Boy was that ever a bad move? Putting all your eggs in one basket, as the saying goes.

Maybe it's a wake up call for Western Companies to think again and move operations back home, too? On a lighter note, I can supply a comprehensive list of Record Stores in Munich (and directions) for those who have to travel due to non refundable airline tickets and hotel bookings. There is one really good store that carries all the audiophile reissues and it is easily accessed via the S Bahn. There are also a few stores that have new old stock at decent prices. I have got some nice records in Munich over the past 14 years or so.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Certainly is a shame that it is cancelled... Hadn't been before and must admit expectation levels were running high!

Just thought I'd mention that even if ones flight tickets are non-refundable, the airline is still obliged to refund the airport tax part. Can be worth applying for it as better to have your 30 or 40 quid back than leaving it with the airline. Did it relatively recently and to my surprise, the tax refund was processed quite promptly..

For those making the trip anyway, I hope you get to enjoy a sunny beer in Munich. Even if without any accompanying audiophile sounds!!
Chord Electronics DAVE - Aesthetix Calypso - Pass Labs XA100.8 - Wilson Audio Alexia - Nordost Quattro Fil/SPM
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Satrus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:29 am I am glad that I didn't book anything given what has transpired. I had a gut feeling that this was going to happen, though. When you see big trade fairs like that telecommunications one in Barcelona cancelled, Serie A league matches, the Chinese Grand Prix, the Rugby Six Nations and the Geneva Car Show yesterday morning, you just knew that High End 2020 would follow suit. It's hugely disappointing. I just hope all those companies who couldn't wait to transfer all manufacturing etc. to China now realize what an enormous blunder they have made. The world is in the grip of China because of its bizarre culinary practices, Bat Soup for Goodness Sake! Quite apart from our audio obsession, this has the potential to seriously harm the world economy. People in the media refer to China as 'the factory of the world'. Boy was that ever a bad move? Putting all your eggs in one basket, as the saying goes.

Maybe it's a wake up call for Western Companies to think again and move operations back home, too? On a lighter note, I can supply a comprehensive list of Record Stores in Munich (and directions) for those who have to travel due to non refundable airline tickets and hotel bookings. There is one really good store that carries all the audiophile reissues and it is easily accessed via the S Bahn. There are also a few stores that have new old stock at decent prices. I have got some nice records in Munich over the past 14 years or so.
Please do post the locations of any stores. Who knows what the situation will be by May, it might be worse or it might be past but if we do go, it would be nice to know where to go for a few records. Any other ideas for Munich would be good too if you know the city - a jazz club or something?
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

Anybody who wants the list of record stores in Munich should send me an email at info@vinyllpcare.com. It is a large document and not really suitable for posting here. It has directions on how to get to the stores and what U and S-Bahn trains to get. If anybody is going for say, 4 days, or more you can get a U/S-Bahn/Bus ticket to cover all sectors of the city for something like €34. It's called an Isar Card. You can get triple the value of this if you are doing serious record shopping, general shopping and sight seeing. It is best to buy it at the airport when you arrive at the train station desk. This, I should clarify, includes your inward journey to the city from the airport and your outward journey to the airport on departure day. In all 3 separate tickets are issued. It's for nothing, really, when you think about it. Even if you're only staying for two days, it's worth considering.

The record stores are 'combed' by savvy collectors on a daily basis, if you ask me! Last year I was out at M2 (mostly new unplayed stock, promos etc.) on Rosenheimer Strasse on the day before High End was due to open. A 'horde' of guys, all of whom were in town for High End, descended on the store at 3 pm and I saw them buying stacks, literally, of records. The thing is if you were there every day you would pick up some solid NM/M- gems and probably be permanently broke. Saturn in the city centre on Neuhauser Strasse has all the new releases and reissues, on the 'below ground' floor or basement. Der Schallplatten Laden on Pariser Strasse is the store that has all the audiophile vinyl releases and he has a room at the back of the store with quality used vinyl. You will need to get the S-Bahn to Ostbahnfof (East Station) to go there. And if that isn't enough, HiFi Concept on Worthstrasse is nearby. They seem to carry all the big ticket high end equipment. The owner showed me around all the listening rooms when I was there in 2008 and later. Very nice people! Mono Records is also nearby. There's more so email me as above if you are interested. Even though High End is not going ahead this year, there is still plenty to see and explore in Munich for audiophiles and vinyl collectors. Opening times for the stores are really odd, so watch that. Some open as late as 3pm in the afternoon and not every day either. Sorry, don't know of any jazz clubs but a search will probably yield some results.