What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:49 pm
fergus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm Albinoni: Sinfonie a Cinque Op. 2 [Banchini/Ensemble 415]
That's a new one on me Fergus. I've never heard of that ensemble before this.
That ensemble is nearly as old as I am, Seán!! They are outstanding musicians but focus on Baroque Chamber music a lot but not exclusively.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:09 pm
fergus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:49 pm Albinoni: Sinfonie a Cinque Op. 2 [Banchini/Ensemble 415]
That ensemble is nearly as old as I am, Seán!! They are outstanding musicians but focus on Baroque Chamber music a lot but not exclusively.
Actually I have come across them on JPC but I have never bought any of their recordings, this looks like a very good set, it includes the Albinoni Sinfonie a ccinque op. 2
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... um/1414119

Valentini: Concerti grossi e a quattro violini op. 8 Nr. 1-3, 7, 10, 11
+Geminani: 12 Concerti grossi (nach Corellis op. 5)
+Fiorenza: Cellokonzerte F-Dur & a-moll
+Porpora: Cellokonzert G-Dur
+Leo: Cellokonzert A-Dur
+Sabatino: Cellokonzert G-Dur
+Vivaldi: Concerti op. 3 Nr. 1, 4, 7, 10 "L'estro Armonico"; Konzert für 4 Violinen RV 551; Concerto a quattro RV 553; Violinkonzertte op. 8 Nr. 1-4 "Die vier Jahreszeiten"; Violinkonzerte RV 372, 390, 578
+Albinoni: Sinfonie a ccinque op. 2

Artists: Amandine Beyer, Chiara Banchini, Ensemble 415, Gli Incogniti
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:52 pm
fergus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:09 pm
Actually I have come across them on JPC but I have never bought any of their recordings, this looks like a very good set, it includes the Albinoni Sinfonie a ccinque op. 2
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail ... um/1414119

Valentini: Concerti grossi e a quattro violini op. 8 Nr. 1-3, 7, 10, 11
+Geminani: 12 Concerti grossi (nach Corellis op. 5)
+Fiorenza: Cellokonzerte F-Dur & a-moll
+Porpora: Cellokonzert G-Dur
+Leo: Cellokonzert A-Dur
+Sabatino: Cellokonzert G-Dur
+Vivaldi: Concerti op. 3 Nr. 1, 4, 7, 10 "L'estro Armonico"; Konzert für 4 Violinen RV 551; Concerto a quattro RV 553; Violinkonzertte op. 8 Nr. 1-4 "Die vier Jahreszeiten"; Violinkonzerte RV 372, 390, 578
+Albinoni: Sinfonie a ccinque op. 2

Artists: Amandine Beyer, Chiara Banchini, Ensemble 415, Gli Incogniti
I have that set Seán. I honestly cannot remember how much you enjoy and appreciate Baroque music. It is easy for commentators like me to spend other people’s money but having said that I would recommend the set; I have enjoyed it. With Banchini and Beyer, along with their ensembles, you have two really great exponents of this music. Whether people have the stamina for 7 CDs of Baroque music is another thing. Are there clips from the set that you can listen to before taking the plunge?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well I'm 2 minutes into it now and enjoying it. I'm not sure I'll get through all the tracks right away, but it's certainly right up my boulevard. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nice to see and hear music from Geminiani in this set. Lauded in his era, he actually died and was buried in Dublin. There's some lunchtime trivia for you.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:21 pm Well I'm 2 minutes into it now and enjoying it. I'm not sure I'll get through all the tracks right away, but it's certainly right up my boulevard. Thanks for the recommendation.
Great!
Success!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 pm Nice to see and hear music from Geminiani in this set. Lauded in his era, he actually died and was buried in Dublin. There's some lunchtime trivia for you.
I have some more of Geminiani's music in my collection. I have always liked it. I always thought that I got a slight flavour of Irish music in there but perhaps that was just Nationalistic fervour on my part!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rachmaninov: All Night Vigil [Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir/Hillier]

An absolutely terrific work and performance!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:26 am I have that set Seán. I honestly cannot remember how much you enjoy and appreciate Baroque music. It is easy for commentators like me to spend other people’s money but having said that I would recommend the set; I have enjoyed it. With Banchini and Beyer, along with their ensembles, you have two really great exponents of this music. Whether people have the stamina for 7 CDs of Baroque music is another thing. Are there clips from the set that you can listen to before taking the plunge?
I go through phases when I listen to Baroque music. I love JS Bach and his keyboard music as performed by András Schiff and that for me is as close to perfection as one can get. That said, Bach's Magnificat is perfect, BWV243 is extraordinary music. I don't know what it is about it but I loved it the first time I heard it. I even enjoy Suzuki's performance of it. I listen to Bach's Cantatas from time to time and to his Brandenburg Concertos on a regular basis. I also love Jan Dismas Zelenka.

But I just cannot get enough of Haydn and Beethoven.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

A little anecdote

My older brother has played drums all his life, mostly in rock bands but he has always liked Jazz and classical music. He has always admired several Jazz musicians like Buddy Rich and Oscar Peterson and classical musicians like Yuga Wang for their incredible technique. I have always said that great technique is a given in classical music but it's what the musician does with it that counts. I send him CDs from time to time and a couple of years ago I gave him CDs for Xmas and one of them was of András Schiff playing the JS Bach's Goldberg Variations. Well that CD has had a profound effect upon him. He loved it and went and bought Schiff's complete box set of Bach's keyboard works. It has changed his attitude towards musical performances. He has told me that these Bach recordings have given him a new love for and insight into musical performances. He regularly sends me videos of Schiff playing and talking about Bach. I love it.