Your Hifi history

DaveF

Your Hifi history

Post by DaveF »

1. 1st proper system was a Home Cinema system. Speakers all Monitor Audio Silver 8 series. I had a full 7.1 system, not all shown here. Amps were mostly from Myryad and Pioneer AV amp there too. There is a REL sub there somewhere too. This system gave me immense enjoyment and lasted me a long time. It spent a good 4-5 years all boxed up in my parents place when I lived in Budapest/Nice.

Image Image

2. My first serious Hifi spend came when I bought a new pair of B&W804s, a Krell 400xi and an Opus21 CDP a few weeks later. Looked and sounded quite good, a clear step up from the monitor audio system. It was at this stage that I met a few members from the forum and started hearing the systems they owned. That was an eye opener.

ImageImage

3. While happy with the 804s I began to get the itch to step up to the 803D's. Usher speakers then appeared in Cloney's and I just had to have to them. They sounded great too. Took a small army of Cloney lads to get them up the stairs and unboxed. A few days later I was made redundent from my job. Jaysus.

4. After I got myself sorted and moving to a new gaff, in came a Wadia 861i, a GamutD200Mk3, a Music First Pre. A Clearaudio TT came in too a few months later. A really really good system. Should have stopped here to be honest.

ImageImage

5. The start of an utter nightmare. The Airtight ATM2 arrived. It looked the business but far too often its lean and pitched up tone combo with the Ushers just caused me a lot of grief. All sorts of room treatment, cable nonesense was tried. None of it made any difference.

ImageImage

The Kharmas soon arrived, fitted with the new Kevlar based driver. The Usher's were sold a while later. Took 5 guys to get them down a few flights of stairs.

6. Another room change. Still didnt solve my sound problems with a nasty bright treble so with a heavy heart I just had to let the Airtight go. In came a Leben CS300. Sounded different and for a while it seemed to cure some of the issues I was having. The Audio Research phonostage blew up after a while so back it went.

ImageImage

7. A few different amps/sources were tried such as Kharmas own monoblocs and a Meridian CDP a few members brought over their gear to try out. No matter what was tried, the lean pitched up treble still persisted. It was time for a complete system reboot. In came a pair of Sonus Fabers, a pair of Classe CAM350 blocs and preamp. This sounded a lot more soothing and relaxing. It didnt have the magic and sparkle of the previous system(when that behaved). Ultimately this system failed to really excite me and there was a distinct boxy sound from the speakers. After a few months I finally had enough and I put the lot up for sale. Within less than a week, the vultures from the forum descended on my gaff and picked apart the entire system within a few days. I built an utterly badass highend PC out of the funds to numb the pain.

ImageImage

8. 9 months to a year later, I came across that Devialet had produced a 'cheap' range of their D-Premier. The engineering behind it fascinated me and I took notice. Cloney's also just happened to contact me and asked would I be interested. At the same time a pair of Audioplan Kontrast V speakers turned up in the preowned section. They were noted for a warm but open sound. An audition was arranged in Cloney's and I took the bait. Very very happy with this system. Perhaps the least attractive looking and minimalist system I've owned to date. There is a natural synergy between the warm Audioplans and the totally transparent Devialet. My old TT made a welcome return too.

....as for the future, well there are a few things I'm looking at at the moment. Mainly just out of curiosity since they are available and are legendary.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Re: Your Hifi history

Post by mcq »

Great post, Dave. I know you are curious about the Jadis DA 88s that is for sale at Cloney Audio. Audioplan distribute Jadis in Germany and the two companies have a very close business relationship (so much so that Audioplan has successfully proposed design changes to a number of Jadis amps in the past to maximise their synergy). Audioplan regularly use the DA88s amp in demonstrations at trade shows. Worth keeping in mind if you're considering a change from the Devialet.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

A hell of a post for a hell of a journey! You've set the bar too high I'm afraid ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks Paul. I wasnt aware at all of the Audioplan/Jadis thing. That's probably the last thing I needed to hear as the Jadis is way over my budget :-)
Anyway, there are a few things on the speaker front that I'm looking into but it all wont unfold for another month or so. The Devialet is very fine amp, probably in the top 3 I've heard but if a new pair of speakers needed an amp change then so be it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

the last photo is the best!

all the upgrades in the world are but smoke if you can't put your feet up and listen!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Quite a journey Dave - you've probably had more items than most of us..... and a varied enough lot too. What are you using now as digital source? Do you still have the wadia?
Do or do not, there is no try
sebna

Post by sebna »

Great story and great photos. I really liked open plan sunny penthouse? photo :) (not that I dont like the current setup).

I just realized I did not take probably any photos of few items which went trough my room, but on the other hand my room is a total mess so maybe it is all for better :)
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Great post Dave, wonderful you have all those photos of the system changes.

seems like you're a man who likes the thrill of the chase.

SJB
tony

Post by tony »

Some journey alright and nicely captured in photo's. It is a hard act to follow. A lot of the kit you went through Dave most people could live with for life

No photo's for me but my journey was much simpler and sparse by comparison. My first 'decent' hifi kit was bought in 1981 when I started work. Headed down to av imports who stocked Pioneer rack systems in a georgian house in Merrion square. Beautiful black chipboard with the SA610, TX710 Tuner and CT chrome/metal tape deck(now in Fran's hifi graveyard). Mesmerized by the shiny blue digital displays and db meter on the amp the full range set out in a really big room I had to buy. The Bush LP player with 4 speeds was consigned to history.
Nada for the following 30yrs (there is value for you) Happily stuck with that knew no different with the exception of a Pioneer PD10 something CDP to bring me into the future in 1990.

When the CD player gave up I decided that the Cloney shop I had studiously avoided for 30yrs as it was only for well heeled people was visited. True to type I came out with a cyrus rack system.Tri arbour walnut rack with mis mash of silver and mainly black componenets. Still had the Tuner but now there was strange power supplies. Upgraded bits of that to eventually end up with a CD8SE and 8XP. Had bought a pair of System Audio 1530's secondhand and Avi Positrons around the same time. Later upgraded to Spendor A6's which I still have.

The last few years brought maybe a similar type of box swapping as Dave but definitely not in the same price range. Exposure to the nerds here exposed electrostatics, valve amps and the white bearded guy called JK.

This led to the Cyrus kit leaving as even though I liked it couldn't afford to have it as a second system.
A visit to Fergus confirmed Jadis is what I needed. Luckily for me a few came available that summer so got a secondhand DA50S. The Quads ESL57's popped up very soon after and I had to get them. They seemed well sorted and even though I had toyed with cheaper pairs I was scared off by the work.
Various John Kenny Dacs were introduced and I still have the Ciunas. PC audio took off and suited me fine. This seems like the race to the moon as it is never ending. But the incremental leaps achieved fairly quickly make it really worthwhile. All the meets also make the hobby very enjoyable.

My new Lampizator dac I think is the end of the journey for me for the foreseeable future. Funds and wife's patience eventually run out. Will still tinker with the PC but my system is fairly settled now hopefully for the next 30yrs.

Forgot to mention the introduction of a Prima Luna Prologue 2 integrated amp to drive the Spendors and myriad Marantz, Arcam and Yamaha CDP's and integrated amps that where swapped in and out over the last couple of years. All reasonably small money.

BTW I still have the Pioneer amp used in the kitchen with a Sony tuner and Arcam Ipod dock.

More mundane picture less journey compared to Dave but I think one that was lighter on the pocket!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Fran wrote:Quite a journey Dave - you've probably had more items than most of us..... and a varied enough lot too. What are you using now as digital source? Do you still have the wadia?
The Wadia is long gone I'm afraid. Huge regret in selling it at the time. Currently I'm using the digital out of an Arcam player. Dont know its model name but it was a reasonably high end player in its day.