Interest check

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Gerry D

Interest check

Post by Gerry D »

Hi and Happy New Year

I haven't been visible around here in quite a while but I have been keeping a watching eye on proceedings.
Thanks Fran and all Mods for keeping it going and steering us in to another year. A better one I hope.

Due to various changes in spacial circumstances over the last couple of years I am seriously considering becoming practical for a while and cutting down on the box count. So I might move the following stuff on if the interest is there and the deal was fair ...

Pass Labs Int 60 - near mint, Cloney audio supplied.

Gold Note PH 10 phono and dedicated PSU 10 power supply. Supplied by Pinnacle Audio, UK and upgraded by Gold Note in Italy.
(this was returned to the factory for upgrade late last year ) Will not sell separately.

Clearaudio Da Vinci V2 MC Cartridge - Very little used, original packaging, certificate etc. Supplied by Cloney Audio

I'd encourage any one who's interested to see online reviews.
I'm looking for fair pricing which I think would be at the upper end of HiFi Shark adds as a guideline as all of this is in great condition and less than 3 years old including 14 months in storage.

*** And there's a story behind these beauties which I won't go into here ...

Sonus Faber Elipsa Red SE floor standing loudspeakers - near mint, boxed. Supplied by one of our esteemed colleagues here. In storage for last 2 years or so.

Demos can be arranged in a spacious office on the M50 but only following serious interest being shown and strict adherence to COVID-19 safety protocols would be observed.

Stay Safe All,
Thanks,

Gerry 🎶
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Sloop John B

Re: Interest check

Post by Sloop John B »

I'm on the search for new speakers in 2021.

I've no idea if the Sonus Faber Elipsa SE would work well with Naim amplifications (I've a NAP300 DR)? Any thoughts form current or previous owners?

It's hard to know how practical getting anything done in Level 5 actually is as realistically I'd need to hear them in my own room.

.sjb
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I suspect I am the previous owner of those speakers! 😉

I found the more current I could give them the better they got, and they want good clean power. The combo with valves was too much of a good thing for my ears, so Naim might work quite well, although I've never tried them myself. Usual story, you don't need huge watts if they're the right watts.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I had to google those to see which model exactly they were. I saw this on a review:

With a wide range of amplifiers at my disposal—solid-state, tube and class D amps, ranging from a pair of 20-watt 845 SET monoblocks all the way up to the mighty Pass Labs’ XA200.5 monoblocks—all were able to drive the Elipsa SEs without difficulty. Granted, each amplifier imposed its own sonic personality on the presentation, which complements the high resolution that these speakers offer. But still, every variation on the theme remained thoroughly enjoyable.

Thanks to a sensitivity of 91 db per watt, the Elipsa SE is comfortable with the 35 watts per channel that the average EL34-based tube amplifier can provide, but because the speakers have a maximum power handling of 300 watts, they will absolutely crank if you have enough high-quality power on tap.

Driven to ear-shredding levels (by the XA200.5 monoblocks) with Mudhoney’s Superfuzz Bigmuff, the speakers revealed their true gloriousness. The only distortion present was that of the amplifiers in the recording studio. Following this up with the Pixies’ Tromp Le Monde and ending with Explosions in the Sky’s The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place is perhaps a bit off the path of the lute that Sonus faber mentions on their website, but it leads to the most important aspect of these speakers: They are unflappable.
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Diapason wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:43 pm I suspect I am the previous owner of those speakers! 😉

I found the more current I could give them the better they got, and they want good clean power. The combo with valves was too much of a good thing for my ears, so Naim might work quite well, although I've never tried them myself. Usual story, you don't need huge watts if they're the right watts.
Simon are they not similar to the Sonus Fabers owned by Steve? I completely missed you selling them through Cloneys and also completely missed Steve's new speakers! Just came across the thread the other day. No messing around there. Straight to the top!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Quite different to the Amati Futuras that Steve owned, both in look and sonic presentation, but both still have that SF magic.

Funnily enough, despite my expectation of broad strokes and scale at the expense of detail, I actually found these just as resolving as the Kharmas they replaced, but obviously with a very different sound signature. I'm genuinely sorry I had to sell them. Sad that they've been unplayed ever since...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
tony

Post by tony »

Put us out of our misery Gerry. How much are the Elipsa's?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Hi Tony
I’m facilitating a friend here and would rather keep any negotiations via PM
But he’s thinking in the region of €6,500.00

See that word negotiations 😉
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
tony

Post by tony »

Certainly nice price for destination speakers. I would have been checking them out if I hadn't bought speakers before Xmas. I think you will be selling them soon:) Not too many Elipsa's floating around the Irish secondhand market.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think they're the only pair in the country...