Router/DNS question

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Diapason

Router/DNS question

Post by Diapason »

I've been experiencing very temperamental internet at home recently. I remember on the old forum, DaveF had an instruction about changing your router to use openDNS instead of Eircom (or something). Anyone got that saved?

I actually think I did it before, but I just want to check. If so I also want to see if returning to Eircom's DNS solves my problem.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Re: Router/DNS question

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:I've been experiencing very temperamental internet at home recently. I remember on the old forum, DaveF had an instruction about changing your router to use openDNS instead of Eircom (or something). Anyone got that saved?

I actually think I did it before, but I just want to check. If so I also want to see if returning to Eircom's DNS solves my problem.
I could do with a reminder of that openDNS thingy too... and 'port forwarding' on a UPC modem as well if anyone knows anything about it!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

To use openDNS, put the following in as your Primary and Secondary DNS settings:

To revert back to Eircom, simply enter in 0.0.0.0 for both Primary and Secondary DNS settings.

Save and reboot the router in both cases. Might be a good idea to jot down all your existing settings before making any changes just in case the f*ck-up fairy is around.

Dont know much about the UPC port forwarding Ivor.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

DaveF wrote: Dont know much about the UPC port forwarding Ivor.
Well you have until Saturday to find out. ;)

Thanks anyway, I'll do an oul' google and see where that takes me.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote:
DaveF wrote: Dont know much about the UPC port forwarding Ivor.
Well you have until Saturday to find out. ;)

Thanks anyway, I'll do an oul' google and see where that takes me.
Your best bet would be in the Net & Comms section on boards.ie to be honest. Some very knowledgable guys over there who'd know a lot more about this stuff than I would.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks Dave. Apparently I'm already set to use OpenDNS. Not too sure what's causing the current problem now.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Did you try switching back to Eircoms DNS servers to see if its a DNS issue?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Not yet, I'll try that today.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

do you have the eircom freebie (zYxel) router Si....

we gave that one and I went and bought a belkin N+ router to get decnt wireless....

the zyxel won't even reach the man-cave, whereas the belkin will quite happily hit howth!!

also it has a NAS function for usb drives, which is nice....

course if your issue isn't with wireless then.... "shrug"

also there are some good faq's about port forwarding if you google "problems with remote for itunes"

I had to do all that when itunes wouldn't pick up my iphone as a remote on the wireless network(although I just picked up airport express which is sooooooo easy

new kitchen system en route -- airport streaming itunes with apple lossless files to audio alchemy dac to fatman itube to arcam muso's using my ipod touch as an itunes remote, i finally remember what christmas used to feel like!!!

(and a dock for her iphone!)
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah, Eircom freebie router. Never a problem with the signal per se, just struggling to finish loading pages sometimes. Seems to work okay when I connect using my phone, so could be the laptop of course. It's not getting any younger, battery life is now measured in picoseconds.