Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Msi h81m g43

Though a lot of other stuff needs to be right before you'll hear difference between low featured itx and matx
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

nige2000 wrote:Msi h81m g43
It's a bit late, but cannot seem to find that type MSI board.. (typo?).
Any clue as to why that board sounds better, or just plain experience / testing?
nige2000 wrote:Though a lot of other stuff needs to be right before you'll hear difference between low featured itx and matx
Coming from you that gives considerable comfort going for the low featured itx :-)

Have been reading up on this btw: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... cuit/616/1
Wouldn't a more featured itx be supplied with better caps/ transitors / chokes, hence better voltage regulation?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ge_o02_s00

sorry
bad memory

I've two of these for testing too but have not got round to it yet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ge_o00_s00

by less features i mean less ports hdmi, dual lan, 8 usb ports etc
when you are providing cleanish power to the board the regs, chokes etc have less work to do, in comparison to dubious smps supplies

if your worried about it maybe try a minimalist server board,
my point was this is really small fry stuff
i just go for minimalist boards that are haswell have the nec chipset i like and are cheap in case i break em
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

Ok. Thanks for the link. Will check that out!

Other question: how do you limit the charge current in your multi battery setup. Seems you put those Chineese Voltage regs from e-bay straight on the batteries? Is there an auto current limiter in those pre-fab regulator boards? Have you ever switched them on with discharged batteries? :-)

I need a way to put the 5VSB line of the Teradak ATX on a 5V battery pack (similar to you using the Voltage regs) , but feel hesitant to do so without current limiter (hence charger board) in between. Don't wanna fry a linear ATX unit I just bought & received out of China. Most charge boards likely will want a voltage drop between charge voltage and battery voltage.. And I don't have more than 5V available..
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Lowlands wrote:Ok. Thanks for the link. Will check that out!

Other question: how do you limit the charge current in your multi battery setup. Seems you put those Chineese Voltage regs from e-bay straight on the batteries? Is there an auto current limiter in those pre-fab regulator boards? Have you ever switched them on with discharged batteries? :-)
firstly the batteries shouldnt be discharged further than 2.5v each as 2.5v is sort of a minimum recommendation
that said it has happened me in experiments ive seen 3 amps draw
but in the finished system the batteries will only draw from the ps what the pc components are drawing from the batteries
I need a way to put the 5VSB line of the Teradak ATX on a 5V battery pack (similar to you using the Voltage regs) , but feel hesitant to do so without current limiter (hence charger board) in between. Don't wanna fry a linear ATX unit I just bought & received out of China. Most charge boards likely will want a voltage drop between charge voltage and battery voltage.. And I don't have more than 5V available..
current wont be a problem for the teradak
why for the 5v standby?
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

nige2000 wrote: firstly the batteries shouldnt be discharged further than 2.5v each as 2.5v is sort of a minimum recommendation
that said it has happened me in experiments ive seen 3 amps draw
but in the finished system the batteries will only draw from the ps what the pc components are drawing from the batteries
Still.... returning from a deserved summer holiday.. You might find the batteries discharged to an extent they do draw those 3amps when fired up.... what if one does not have those 3 amps? Those Vapextech packs can draw 5amps max.
nige2000 wrote: current wont be a problem for the teradak
why for the 5v standby?
Agreed the Teradak has the 5amps on the prime rails. I would like the 5VSB (2amps) because it's on when the computer is off ('charge'). I plan to put in 2 relais, switched by the 5V line (use the 5V SSD power from the supplied loom) to move the 5VSB from the battery onto the PPA card and close the battery lead to the SSD.. ('discharge')

Found these.. : http://stores.ebay.nl/AGIIA/_i.html?_nk ... 777&_rdc=1
States a 4.2V output...... 0.8V drop.

Perhaps I should simply put in a plain prefab USB battery pack (the likes of an Anker, etc..) for the SSD and be done with it...
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

u maybe overthinking it? :)
sima66

Post by sima66 »

It might be a stupid question (my specialities), but will there be a difference in the sound (or performance) if supplying the SSD with 4.9v or with 5v or 5.1 etc? Is it really the 5v the optimum?!
This question apply's to any of the other components.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:It might be a stupid question (my specialities), but will there be a difference in the sound (or performance) if supplying the SSD with 4.9v or with 5v or 5.1 etc? Is it really the 5v the optimum?!
yes device voltage can change the sound sometimes
i never got round to testing it
im afraid you'll have to test it yourself
just try lower voltage first
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:It might be a stupid question (my specialities), but will there be a difference in the sound (or performance) if supplying the SSD with 4.9v or with 5v or 5.1 etc? Is it really the 5v the optimum?!
yes device voltage can change the sound sometimes
i never got round to testing it
im afraid you'll have to test it yourself
just try lower voltage first
Just start with lower voltage than go up till smoke comes out! That should be the max! :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS