MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jrling

Re: MQN

Post by jrling »

Fujak wrote:Hi Gordon,

what do you think, when will my dream come true, that all the poor "Nonhaswellusers" will be able to enjoy the outstanding combination 9.12/4.25 with Ivy/Sandy CPUs?

Kind regards - Fujak
Hi Fujak - good to hear others than me asking! I got a bad name. A few days back, SBGK did suggest that he was going to do a revision of the 'Normal' versions - so there is hope.

I have had a bad experience dipping my toes in the Haswell water. Boards that lock the BIOS from under clocking, CPU temps high even when idling. I have abandoned hope and returned them.

I have heard a couple of users say that they can play the AVX2 versions with Ivy Bridge CPUs that only have the AVX Instruction Set (one completely obliviously!). Only SBGK would know what is being used in his code that requires AVX2 as opposed to AVX. If your Ivy Bridge CPU has AVX (mine doesn't) then might be worth a try. Nothing to lose. Let us know if you succeed.

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

rickmcinnis wrote:Ken Moreland,

If I may ask: when you "get" the latest MQn combo to work what is it you do?

I have been having problems getting any combo to work and I have come to the conclusion it is likely a defective WAVE IO, nonetheless I would like to know what tricks you have, what do you do, to get MQn versions to work?

Figure what you are doing would be of interest to the less experienced of us out here!

Thanks,
Everything I know is on this thread. To get 9.12 to work with 4.25 these are the basic steps.
Get the string specific to your DAC using mqndevinfo .
Download HxD from Seb's link on page 650
Rename 9.12 to mqnplay1644.exe
Open with HxD
Tootle down to the code starting with \\?\ and paste/write (use menu) in your string
There will be some unnecessary code remaing so go to the Hexidecimal part and following the instructions on page 650 set each point to 0 up to the point in Seb's little green square.
Save
Bob's your uncle.

The string for
Chord Hugo is \\?\usb#vid_245f&pid_1213#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave
Ciunas is \\?\usb#vid_16d0&pid_071a#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave

Best of luck
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Fujak

Post by Fujak »

jrling wrote: I have heard a couple of users say that they can play the AVX2 versions with Ivy Bridge CPUs that only have the AVX Instruction Set (one completely obliviously!). Only SBGK would know what is being used in his code that requires AVX2 as opposed to AVX. If your Ivy Bridge CPU has AVX (mine doesn't) then might be worth a try. Nothing to lose. Let us know if you succeed.
Hi Jonathan,
I'm using the i5-3220 (Ivy Bridge) which is working perfectly with all avx2 versions of MQnPlayer.exe (the latest one with personalized string via hexeditor of course), and all MQnControl.exe up to version 3.87 avx2. The later control versions freeze my Audio-PC. So I will wait (patiently), until Gordon will find a solution.
Kind regards - Fujak
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:

what do you think, when will my dream come true, that all the poor "Nonhaswellusers" will be able to enjoy the outstanding combination 9.12/4.25 with Ivy/Sandy CPUs?

Kind regards - Fujak
Hi Fujak - good to hear others than me asking! I got a bad name. A few days back, SBGK did suggest that he was going to do a revision of the 'Normal' versions - so there is hope.

I have had a bad experience dipping my toes in the Haswell water. Boards that lock the BIOS from under clocking, CPU temps high even when idling. I have abandoned hope and returned them.

I have heard a couple of users say that they can play the AVX2 versions with Ivy Bridge CPUs that only have the AVX Instruction Set (one completely obliviously!). Only SBGK would know what is being used in his code that requires AVX2 as opposed to AVX. If your Ivy Bridge CPU has AVX (mine doesn't) then might be worth a try. Nothing to lose. Let us know if you succeed.

Cheers
Jonathan

bios on msi h81i
underclocking and temps
bear in mind no fan running and no thermal paste
so will be at least 10 degrees less
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

jrling wrote:

Kind regards - Fujak

Cheers
Jonathan
+1
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
taggart

Post by taggart »

Fujak wrote:Hi Jonathan,
I'm using the i5-3220 (Ivy Bridge) which is working perfectly with all avx2 versions of MQnPlayer.exe (the latest one with personalized string via hexeditor of course), and all MQnControl.exe up to version 3.87 avx2. The later control versions freeze my Audio-PC. So I will wait (patiently), until Gordon will find a solution.
Kind regards - Fujak
Hi Fujak,
same here! With Haswell NUC2 all latest versions are running well. But with my Mini-ITX ASUS Board and Ivy Bridge i5-3470T processor, combination of 4.25/9.12 is freezing the PC.
Christoph
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Mr. Moreland,

I took your comment to mean hat you did something in addition to the address change.

Thanks, nonetheless,
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000,

I am skeptical of those BIOS within WINDOWS things - I did not recognize what you were using to verify settings. I believe what CPUZ tells me. What are you using, if I may ask, instead of CPUZ?

I had got the same board as Jonathan and I could not get the CONTROL PANEL program to install. Said it was not compatible with my OS. Did you do something to get yours to work? Could it be that I am using the EVALUATION version of SERVER?

We both have returned them.

Going back to my GIGABYTE H81 M-S2PV which has incredible BIOS flexibility.

Sent you a note about SOEKRIS. Got notification mine in one the way.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Ken Moreland wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:Ken Moreland,

If I may ask: when you "get" the latest MQn combo to work what is it you do?

I have been having problems getting any combo to work and I have come to the conclusion it is likely a defective WAVE IO, nonetheless I would like to know what tricks you have, what do you do, to get MQn versions to work?

Figure what you are doing would be of interest to the less experienced of us out here!

Thanks,
Everything I know is on this thread. To get 9.12 to work with 4.25 these are the basic steps.
Get the string specific to your DAC using mqndevinfo .
Download HxD from Seb's link on page 650
Rename 9.12 to mqnplay1644.exe
Open with HxD
Tootle down to the code starting with \\?\ and paste/write (use menu) in your string
There will be some unnecessary code remaing so go to the Hexidecimal part and following the instructions on page 650 set each point to 0 up to the point in Seb's little green square.
Save
Bob's your uncle.

The string for
Chord Hugo is \\?\usb#vid_245f&pid_1213#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave
Ciunas is \\?\usb#vid_16d0&pid_071a#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave

Best of luck
KM
I understand SQ was the driving factor for making this process manual....
However at some point user-ability must be considered.
The fact that a user needs to complete this process just to configure the player is clearly a little beyond most.

Suggestion.... Could a once off manual startup config screen be implemented to complete this task for the user?
I know this strategy would be appreciated by many users.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

rickmcinnis wrote:Mr. Moreland,

I took your comment to mean hat you did something in addition to the address change.

Thanks, nonetheless,
Hi Rick, from 9.10 to 9.12 the only changes are as in my post.
I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ge_o05_s00
with Server 2012 on usb key , no AO and Chord Hugo.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers