Future of B+W speakers

Audioq

Re: Future of B+W speakers

Post by Audioq »

Diapason wrote:It's not too bad for the 804 (there's a step up yes, from 7k ish to 9k ish EUR I think). The 803, on the other hand, has now headed off into the stratosphere: it's going to be 17k Euro or something like that. The design has changed completely, in fairness, and it now gets the separate head thingummy, but it's still a bit galling that I can't even come close to affording the 3rd speaker in the range.
Ditto. I think the future of high end is eventually going to go back to the kind of diy manufacturer from which it emerged since at these prices even the second hand market may become unaffordable.
Darek

Post by Darek »

I just found this online:

Official Asia-Pacific launch of Bowers & Wilkins new 800 Series Diamond speakers
Last edited by Darek on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well that price does take your breath away..... doesn't it?

In Ireland... that would be a VAT cost of 9200 euro to the Govt..... dear oh dear...

Things are not helped by the fact that the euro is very weak... but even still, B&W management seem to be making a big bet on the Far East..milking it for all its worth. But growth in China has slowed down... and I would not bet the companies future of sustained sales in China / Far East to support sales.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Plainview

Post by Plainview »

new prices seem a bit mad to me ....

reckon the new 802's will be over €20k

even the new 805 ..... going to be north of €6k list here I reckon..... you could get a used set of 802D's for around that ..... seems very rich to me
block

Post by block »

Actually €7k for the 805d3 the guys in cloney say the new range is far superior to the old d2 but didn't get to hear them. They look odd but probably just takes time.
There's actually a nice ex demo 804d2 there for €5k which is actually a good price and sounds good.
Plainview

Post by Plainview »

€7k is mad.

The 804D Diamond is supposed to be a cracking speaker --- got a great write up in Stereophile as I recall.