Good Cassette Decks

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Rayfi

Good Cassette Decks

Post by Rayfi »

Hi
Is anyone holding a good quality tape deck in storage that is no longer used. There are plenty on ebay and adverts but its impossible to buy them as all seem half dead or vastly overpriced. I have looked at some used hifi shops in UK but I would be interested if any audiophiles on here have a deck they could sell for a reasonable price. Probably better to stick with a single cassette deck from the 1990s as the electronics in the 80s decks must be close to kaput at this stage.

thanks for reading
Ray
bod

Re: Good Cassette Decks

Post by bod »

Hi Ray,

It just so happens I`m sending my two Nakamichi decks (CR5 & CR7) to B&W this week for a full service. They wont return until February most likely (advised the lead-time is approx. 12 weeks). When they do I will be selling the CR5 (keeping the CR7). However, I will be looking for a fair bit for the CR5 so perhaps it`s not what you`re looking for! Serviced (not by B&W from what I can see on eBay) good examples go for around €750. I`d be looking for €900 as B&W are the only company that have actual genuine Nakamichi parts and the expertise to do the job properly in my opinion. I`m sure there are other super service engineers out there but...if they ain`t got the parts, who knows what kind of shortcuts could be made. Anyway, price would be a little negotiable for TNHiFi members.

Cheers,

Dave.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the info Dave but I couldnt afford to or justify spending that much on a cassette deck as I mainly collect CDs although I understand the Nakamichi are the best decks its more a mid-range deck I was after maybe in the new year spending around max 150-200 an old Yamaha KX range seems to be good buy? The 50 quid decks on ebay seem to just be a money pit as im experiencing with an old 1987 Sony but it only cost me buttons so I couldnt justify taking it to a tech and im a dab hand with the ipa. Do you recommend a tech for a mid range unit and what would be the price of a full service of say a Yamaha KX530.

Also I have an old AIWA JS-H09 walkman I bought in an auction by chance (you never know whats in the bottom of a box) but Ive been quoted 120+ to fix it. I bought the belt but the de-soldering has scared me off even though Ive been looking at service manual again I might just chance it. I sent email to a few tcchs in Ireland but not even an email response. Its supposed to be a really good one.

All this analogue revival is cool though and can only be good for music in general.

Ray
bod

Post by bod »

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/legen ... d/11029500

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/techn ... k/10257773

I haven`t been able to justify a third deck but if I had to choose...! NB: If the seller ever used a demag on these models don`t touch it. Demag ruins them as far as i know.

I`d go for the 7 over the 6 btw. Both superb by all accounts though.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the info Bod. I was always wondering about the demagnetising of cassette decks. The tool is pricy and as you say in the wrong hands can wreck them? Im getting more replies on this than I had bargained for before christmas lads must have them tucked away as people moved onto digital.
I will look into the technics stuff as I have a vintage cd player by them which is quite good till I broke it but thats another story.
bod

Post by bod »

Not that a demag in the wrong hands will damage the Technics - If I recall correctly a demag should never be used on them due to the type of head used. Yamaha are usually bulletproof too btw so if you see a minter for a good price go for it. Myself, I`d go for the top Pioneer, Sony, Technics over the Yamaha if you can get a good price.
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the info Bod. I find tape decks is a minefield with either high service costs or equipment reaching end of its life so 1990s decks are suggested as the way to go? I am finding lots of cool tape releases on Bandcamp so thats why im interested. Huge amounts of music on cassette and you get the flac file too. Im interested in ambient electronic so there is great choice but costs are creeping up a tape and postage to Ireland could be between 9-15 quid. Ive over 700 CDs so tape has to be just a dabble or the house will overflow with gear and media and the real boss will then clamp down!!
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

hi i have a couple of cassette decks spare a nakamichi 1000 tri tracer. nakamichi 581 and a nakamichi cr1 -the cr1 is as new condition and being used in a friends house .the other two i have not used in a while but i will get them up and running and make sure they are perfect.maybe i can get you a lend of one as you mentioned new year -maybe some of the other forum members would have something -my advise dont waste your money .
i use a car radio cassette called a nakamichi td1200mk2 and sometimes a nakamichi td700e which would probably be as good as car audio can gets
Rayfi

Post by Rayfi »

Thanks for the reply Giant Haystacks.

Im thinking from what ive read on the excellent Tapeheads forum that the Nakamichi is expensive to maintain unless you can fix them yourself and maybe even then if you can get your hands on the parts. (Ive read of service costs of 150-300) do you intend to fix the Nakamichi yourself? I also know its accepted that certain Nakamichi decks are also the best but Im thinking im heavily invested in CD and have a dac for the digital as you say I dont want to waste my money.

Herself has offered to buy me a Yamaha one for chrimbo but If I hold off till end January early Feb I will be able to buy a pricier one myself but then you are back to the "waste of money". Do you say that from the point of view of sound quality or the deterioration of components in these old devices. My crappy Sony one that is broken sounded pretty ok to me the sound was engaging but then as I learn more I know you must align heads etc. Lots of faffing as my mate would say.
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

the nakamichi 1000 tri tracer and 581 are ok but i havent used for a while both would not be wife friendly .
the cr1 is perfect and looks well. i can sell for 100 uk pounds whatever that is in euro if you are keen -but wait and see some of the other forum members may have something