wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
frd1996

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by frd1996 »

Hi there,

It has been a while since the last release, but here it is. wtfplay-live 0.7 is available for download. No new features, but many new things under the hood: new kernels and everything smaller. Hopefully SQ won't disappoint. Please check out the release notes here: http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html.

Enjoy!
F
jrling

Post by jrling »

It does not disappoint. Very useful tick up in SQ.

Thanks frd1996!

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

wtfplay-live 0.7 is a significant improvement over previous versions. Exceptionally clean and detailed sound. Highly recommended.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

wtfplay-live 0.7.1 is now available for download. Please see the release details at http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

F
hudo

Post by hudo »

frd1996 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 pm Hi,

wtfplay-live 0.7.1 is now available for download. Please see the release details at http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

F

Hey frd1996, since you're an expert in this field, can you please recommend decent PC hardware to run your player?
I have Asus laptop, but it leaks a lot of EM noise into USB to the DAC, even I galvanically isolated (well, disconnected) USB power lines and left just data. I can hear CPU and mouse through the speaker, even tho its very faint, but I can hear the noise, no matter to which channel I switch on the preamp, it just leaks EM into the system.
So I was hoping to find a good barebone PC, laptop, NUC or something similar, which has a proven, good quality USB port.
Other idea was to use iFi micro iUSB3 to reclock and regenerate USB signal/
Any advices or experience?
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
jrling

Post by jrling »

On my set-up, wtfplay 0.7.1 is clearly the best SQ I have heard yet.
Well worth a try.

One aspect of the release, which I hadn't thought about, is the ability to disable the drivers on the motherboard audio chip at boot time, if like most of us I suspect, they are not being used when playing music via USB/SPDIF/I2S converters or extra PCI sound cards to DACs. Some PC BIOS allow disabling on board sound cards in the BIOS settings, but mine does not and nor do others.

WTFSetup utility now provides ability to show all sound cards detected by wtfplay at boot time and automatically disable any that are not being used by wtfplay. Of course, as with all wtfplay functionality, changes to the PC software are only temporary and revert to BIOS default at shut down.

In my case, just disabling the on board audio made a significant improvement in SQ and I recommend trying it, if not already done so. It makes sense that it would be beneficial, as if nothing else it reduces the load on CPU if it only has to deal with one sound card, but there could be other reasons too.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
jrling

Post by jrling »

I never thought a PC-based player could reach such good SQ; having tried many Window-based players in the past, some with extreme tweaking and other Linux-based players using MPD or Squeezelite under the hood, they all fell short.

SD card players are approaching the absolute minimum hardware required to play music (good) and PC-based players are more complex with unnecessary functionality. Wtfplay is determinedly minimised Linux player software (only 24MB total for the ISO install package) optimised for maximum SQ and can be improved and modified easily, whereas the 'firmware' that comes with a SD Card player is fixed by the manufacturer and rarely updated to improve it. It is also probably not the prime focus of the vendor, who may focus more on the hardware side. Wtfplay though has shown how much contribution to SQ is made by the player software.

I don't have a SD card player to compare with wtfplay, but it would be very interesting to hear from others who do and have done a comparison.
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

hudo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:00 pm can you please recommend decent PC hardware to run your player?
In terms of PC recommendation is hard for me to advice something. Believe or not, but I do not have a large experience in this particular field. I have not tried many configurations myself. I often use my laptop for the listening (old Thinkpad).

Many people have various ideas about PC for audio - there is no single recommended configuration.

If I was to choose a new PC hardware for wtfplay I would go for something low power, with a passive cooling. A single power supply input (no ATX) would also be an advantage. It would be much easier to use such board with a linear power supply (pimped up with batteries/supercaps). From the storage point of view, I wold be looking for M.2 slot and SD card reader (bootable if possible).

The mentioned NUC would be a good starting point to investigate.

F
tony

Post by tony »

jrling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm I never thought a PC-based player could reach such good SQ; having tried many Window-based players in the past, some with extreme tweaking and other Linux-based players using MPD or Squeezelite under the hood, they all fell short.

SD card players are approaching the absolute minimum hardware required to play music (good) and PC-based players are more complex with unnecessary functionality. Wtfplay is determinedly minimised Linux player software (only 24MB total for the ISO install package) optimised for maximum SQ and can be improved and modified easily, whereas the 'firmware' that comes with a SD Card player is fixed by the manufacturer and rarely updated to improve it. It is also probably not the prime focus of the vendor, who may focus more on the hardware side. Wtfplay though has shown how much contribution to SQ is made by the player software.

I don't have a SD card player to compare with wtfplay, but it would be very interesting to hear from others who do and have done a comparison.
Early days but I think Fryderck's new version is making it very close. I am away for the next few days but will put some effort into doing a decent comparison when I get back. Even with SD players there are big differences Jonathon. As per usual Pearse's willingness to experiment and push the boundaries his sd player set up on the group buy dac is the benchmark. His dac just beats mine. He has oven clocks and some other stuff that just gives it an scarily great sound. Pity they look so different as it makes it impossible to swap his with mine!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Thanks very much for the offer, Tony.

I appreciate that it is difficult to get close to any apples and apples comparison as they work on completely different ways from each other and most are modded too; the best one could say is whether each acting purely as a transport is generally better than the other. As I understand it, Pearce's latest SD player (SD 3.75) is a transport.

Safe travelling