Re: Building some speakers

Post by Claus »

Wow! Amazing job! Thanks for sharing!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So just on to the last post now....

So as I mentioned, I wanted to put the crossovers in a separate box for ease of modding (and many manufacturers suggest that an external crossover can sound better). Maybe in future I'll somehow mount them inside, but for now and probably forever they will be outside. However, I had to decide how to house them and how to do the connections etc. I came up with a system where I put a threaded insert into the rear of the main speaker box, then made a box for the crossover to sit in with binding posts so that this crossover box would be affixed to the rear of the speaker cabinet, but could be unplugged and undone easily. It probably doesn't match perfectly with the fairly neat lines of the speaker, but they are invisible from the seated position, and I can always sit them on the ground if necessary!

I meant to add before, when mounting up the crossover components, I put a piece of copper sheet as the centre ground bar and then ran the HF and LF components either side. I'm kind of a fan of a big low impedance copper sink for grounding, so this just followed that thinking although its probably unnecessary.
IMG_20200613_125411-01.jpeg
IMG_20200613_125411-01.jpeg (87.87 KiB) Viewed 458 times
I veneered up the MDF boxes to match the colour pattern on the rest of the speakers. This way if I did put them on the ground at any stage, they would look "matched" to the speakers.
IMG_20200612_180329-01.jpeg
IMG_20200612_180329-01.jpeg (90.9 KiB) Viewed 458 times
There's a little mark on the top in this pic, its just before final finishing of the boxes.
IMG_20200612_180546-01.jpeg
IMG_20200612_180546-01.jpeg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 458 times

So the build is pretty much complete at this stage, and as I type this I'm sitting here listening to them. Initially when I fired them up I had a hardness in the upper mid range. I think I have taken this back down by a little mod in the crossover (the schematic shown already has this included). Before I contemplate any other tweaking, I think it would be only fair to let them run in for a while and throw as much music at them as possible. Hopefully as the lockdown eases I can get some pairs of ears in here for commentary and analysis!!

My own impressions? Well, I like them, they go lower than my other speakers, almost match the impact of the "fastest" of them, have great front to back depth and detail and soundstage, don't necessarily go that much outside each speaker. I think they are very neutral, but not hard. I have been listening for quite long sessions each evening and I'm not experiencing any fatigue, so that's a good thing too. I worried early on when I had that harshness I mentioned that although they had quite an exciting sound, that they would be fatiguing. I think I'm past that now.

I'll do another post shortly with the costs. If anyone gets a mad rush of blood to the head and is thinking of making them, I have all the cutting lists and components etc that anyone can have. You'd have the advantage (hopefully) of having a listen first to see if you'd like them. This is one of the hardest things in DIY, in general you are running on a wing and a prayer that it will sound good as you mostly don't have any opportunity to listen to the item before you build.
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This has been a great thread! I can't WAIT to hear them.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:41 pm This has been a great thread! I can't WAIT to hear them.
Like!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fantastic work!
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Looking fantastic . Some of the very, very expensive AudioNote speakers have external crossovers. Bet yours sound just as good!
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Great Stuff, well impressed!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah thanks all!! Its been quite the ride, expectations are probably higher than they should be!

I think I'll look back on them in the future and say I built them during the lockdown, so something good came of it in the midst of all the crap that has happened to people.

Thinking back over the build, I think they are an easy enough build, especially if you get the sheet material cut. You have to be able to cut the driver holes and ports, although probably you could get whoever is cutting the mdf to do that for you. I veneered them but you could just fill and sand them and paint them with a rattle can. Mightn't look as good, but it wouldn't affect the sound (other than in your own head).

Other thoughts:

Having the tweeter in its own box that is positionable is valuable.
Good simulator software is a great tool for designing the crossover and box volume/port. Ears are still needed though.
Its easier to start with some frame of reference in mind - ref my early comments on the Kontrasts. At this point, I don't know how these compare to the Kontrasts, but you need to spec out what you want and what you can live with. I suspect these have ended up quite different to them.
It easy to get the proud papa syndrome - you really need to be able to stand back and be objective to improve things.
Do or do not, there is no try
james

Post by james »

Great stuff .. Since the crossover is removable have you considered going active?
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Terry

Post by Terry »

Very well done Fran...followed this with interest. Can you post a pic of the fronts with drivers in place?

Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.