Wanted: Loan/Rent of LP flattening machine

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
bod

Wanted: Loan/Rent of LP flattening machine

Post by bod »

Hi folks,

Long shot - but does anyone have such a device they would be willing to loan/rent or flatten some records for me please? Happy to pay a fee or payment in kind (records/beer/wine etc.!).

Cheers,
Dave.
Cyndale

Re: Wanted: Loan/Rent of LP flattening machine

Post by Cyndale »

There is a guy in Cork who does record flattening and cleaning. He uses super expensive equipment for both. Here is a link...

http://www.vinyllpcare.com/
bod

Post by bod »

Cheers. I knew about that service alright. Between posting stuff to Cork and what they charge it`s not really a runner. At €15 per lp for one cycle he`s having a laugh imo :-). The little voice in my head is telling me to buy a machine...the sensible voice is telling me to put the lp between two flat surfaces with plenty of weight on top and leave close to a radiator for a few days. Worked before no problem, but not exactly scientific! Thanks again and best wishes to everyone for Crimstats and the New Year. Cheers, Dave.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

There are a good few guides online on how to do it with plate glass and domestic ovens. Obviously care is needed :)
Do or do not, there is no try
Thor

Post by Thor »

What about a collective board purchase of a Vinyl Flat from the States?
bod

Post by bod »

I`ve been looking at buying one of those Vinyl Flat jobs for ages. Might just bite the bullet as the Orb one is around €1500...If I could afford/justify one, I`d get it tomorrow! But here on Planet Earth, there are more important things that require my attention unfortunately :-). Between shipping and duty it should come in at under €300 - still a fair wedge for an accessory, but I think I have enough warped records to justify it. I recently got two King's X lp`s (new), that are so warped it`s crazy. As these are limited to 500 numbered copies, I hate having to send them back to Svart records. They then have to eat the cost, plus I may have to pay to send them back. Either way everyone loses and chances are the entire run is warped so a replacement would probably be the same. These records were even shrinkwrapped inside the gatefold - not in the actual sleeve so the only way the could have warped is either not being let cool down long enough or some numpty left them near a radiator or something. Anyway, as the old saying goes "it`s the aggravation and expense that I like most about records!". There would be no issue if digital wasn`t so crap ;-0. I hope all of ye are having a lovely Christmas Day. Cheers, Dave.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Seems like it's the ideal item for a group buy (if we could all agree on model). It's not like a RCM that we use on a weekly basis (one or two days every 6 months would do me just fine).
I'm willing to throw 100/150 towards a group buy of an Orb if there's 12/15 like minded souls.
Would be certainly cheaper than using the Cork service for the bits that I have that could do with a little flattening.
Any interest?
bod

Post by bod »

Good afternude everyone. Just a note to say that I bit the bullet and the VinylFlat arrived today (Murphy dictated that of course, a used one would show up on PinkFishMedia as soon as I ordered a new one from the US with all of it`s delightful FedEx/Duty shenanigans!). Anyway, I`ll see how I get on and report back. As soon as I get through the pile I need to do first (and suss out the best time/heat setting etc.), I`d be happy to help out anyone here. Cheers, Dave.
Thinkfloyd

Post by Thinkfloyd »

Really interested to hear how you get on! I've got one collectable record that ended up bent in half at the bottom of a mail sack in my office over covid, wonder if it'd be up to the challenge!
bod

Post by bod »

I have successfully flattened a crazily warped 35 year old lp. Took a few go`s as I had to 'sneak up on it' time wise. Time, not heat is the key it seems. So, the lowest setting for 2.5 hrs made a completely unplayabe lp perfectly flat. As every record is different, I err on the side of caution and start at 1.5hrs, then increase at 10 or 15 minute intervals, as overcooking would defeat the purpose! A 40 year old Dixie Dregs lp is cooling down at the moment. Again, I had to sneak up on this one too, as timewise working up to 2hrs made no odds. Using The Force I reckoned 2.5hrs should be ok. We shall see :-). Happy to try fix your lp ThinkFloyd - I am super careful and will not risk damaging anything. PM me to organise. Cheers, Dave.