Music 2012

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
DaveF

Music 2012

Post by DaveF »

What were your best and most disappointing records that you bought or heard all year.

For me, these two top the bill and get a regular listen...

Image Image

and the most disappointing....

Pretty bland from start to finish. I just dont get the positive reviews that this album has received. I thought that the previous two albums, Modern Times and Together through Life were a lot better.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jaybee

Re: Music 2012

Post by jaybee »

before your images loaded I had the Civil Wars at the top of my list... blew me away.....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Derek

Post by Derek »

Samuel James - and for the Dark road ahead.

for Blues aficionados one to seek out
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
markof

Post by markof »

Melodic, piano oriented, latin & bop for a group of world class musicians (24/96 download from Qobuz)

Bit of a cheat but the 24/44.1 download from B&W is Feb 2012 sounds superb on my computer-based system.
Catch em on tour in Feb. 2013 (http://www.the-unthanks.com/tour-dates/)

A grower, really like her voice as it has matured, great musicianship and is spot-on for this time of the year. (24/96 download from her website)

Also in 2012, the rise of on-line Hi-Res digital sources, with instant home shopping and often better sound quality and value than CD's. Spotify in Ireland, allowing me to evaluate to an album before buying.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
tweber

Post by tweber »

lots of new stuff I really liked this year: Calexico, Paul Weller , Ben Folds Five,Alabama Shakes(all probably obvious choices)Image
Image even though I'm not a massive fan of downloads.
Just rediscovered this: Image and enjoying this in bitesize servings:
Hopefully '13 is as good!