Building a Library on BBC Radio 3 on 22 February 2014

Seán

Building a Library on BBC Radio 3 on 22 February 2014

Post by Seán »

9.30am Building a Library

Nicholas Kenyon surveys recordings of Haydn’s Symphony no.44 and makes a recommendation.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Re: Building a Library on BBC Radio 3 on 22 February 2014

Post by fergus »

I am currently listening to this version Seán....

I do not expect that Goodman will get a mention but I have always enjoyed his Haydn. I would be interested to know what the top recommendation is.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I am currently listening to this version Seán....

I do not expect that Goodman will get a mention but I have always enjoyed his Haydn. I would be interested to know what the top recommendation is.
Pinnock's recording with the English Concert was the first choice, I bought it many years ago on Ciarán's recommendation.

I am currently on a Mozart and Haydn symphonic journey, it is wonderful.

Next week it will be Beethoven's Seventh.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:I am currently listening to this version Seán....

Fergus, I'm pretty sure Goodman got mentioned a few years ago on BAL cos I went out and purchased a few of those recordings afterwards. I'd only consider Goodman or Hogwood for my Haydn. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Pinnock's recording with the English Concert was the first choice, I bought it many years ago on Ciarán's recommendation.

Thank you Seán.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Fergus, I'm pretty sure Goodman got mentioned a few years ago on BAL cos I went out and purchased a few of those recordings afterwards. I'd only consider Goodman or Hogwood for my Haydn. :-)

Good for you Dave; nice to see that someone else is interested in the Goodman interpretations.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:

Good for you Dave; nice to see that someone else is interested in the Goodman interpretations.
I have many fine exponents in my collection and they include Harnoncourt, Goodman, Kuijken, Bruggen, Weil, Jacobs, Bernstein, Abbado and, yes, Dorati. I have a small selection of Fischer recordings too.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

Is this today? I must check that and listen in to the playback later if it is.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Yes , it is and is was a great programme, do you want me to 'dish the dirt'? [Hint] Darren would be pleased.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Yes , it is and is was a great programme, do you want me to 'dish the dirt'? [Hint] Darren would be pleased.
Next week it's West Side [feckin'] Story, yuck!