Recommendation for power outlet

Maciej

Recommendation for power outlet

Post by Maciej »

Hello,

I would like to fit audiophile grade wall power outlet and I am looking for recommendation.

Would you know something that is inexpensive but good quality, or would you know any trick what can be done to ordinary wall socket to convert in to better one.
I am refurbishing my place so I have an option to tweak the power supply than run from the fuse box to the dedicated power socket for my audio gear. I am not looking for turning the apartment to power plant, but as you folks know a lot it could be great to hear some advice.

Perhaps someone has spare audiophile outlet that would like to sell? Preferably with 2 outlets.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... utlets.htm

Thanks

Maciej
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Recommendation for power outlet

Post by Fran »

Loads of individual sockets is my tip - somethign I regret I didn't do enough of. I reckon about 16 sockets covers most of what you might need.
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I used MK unswitched sockets. Not expensive and readily available.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Fran wrote:Loads of individual sockets is my tip - somethign I regret I didn't do enough of. I reckon about 16 sockets covers most of what you might need.
Ok, so silver plating, heavy duty is not so important. Better lots of single sockets for plugging single piece to single socket if I understand correctly Fran?
Thanks
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Not sure if there is UK/Ireland equivalent but here is a write up on outlets
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... utlets.htm

I use the Maestro outlets coupled with Furutech outlet covers. I have 2 sets on the wall coupled with a piggy back passive filter (that sits behind the outlet) from a guy called Patrick Cullen. A really nice guy to deal with, his dad is Rick Cullen who was the production manager of PS Audio and later the head of Cullen Circuits who has been the primary builder and design consultant of all PS Audio products and other products.

I use a few other Maestro outlets in a home made power distribution block.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

Fran wrote:Loads of individual sockets is my tip - somethign I regret I didn't do enough of. I reckon about 16 sockets covers most of what you might need.
Lots of sockets sure. Indeed !
Lots of individual sockets ? NOooooo.
Take sockets for 2, 3 or 4 plugs, depending on your needs !

Don't know about Irish regulation about electricity, you will have to check - but i can tell you about french ones.

-There is a maximum of 8 individual sockets of 1 plug, for a 20A fuse using 2.5 mm cable.
So 8 plugs max.
But if you use a socket with 2 plugs, it count as 1 plug.
Sockets with 3 count as 2.
4 count as 3.
Maciej

Post by Maciej »

Thanks guys for your feedback.
Maestro outlets seems to be interesting option.
I am going to drop them e-mail, just wonder if they have European version of the socket.

Maciej
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

musicworks have an older block 8 sockets star earthed crabtree sockets switched around £50 2nd hand
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

My take on mains wiring is that it has a subtle but noticeable effect on the sound you hear.

The general feeling is that a ring mains is 'better' than a spur. A spur, assuming it is direct from the MCB board can be converted into a ring main with the addition of another length of 2.5 T&E cable. Two live wires, two neutrals and two earth cables seem to have a positive effect on the sound. Quite why I don't know as the current draw from a hi-fi system is quite small. If you are installing/getting someone to install a second 2.5 T&E cable, fit a 6 sq. m.m. earth wire from the earth block in the MCB box to the earth connection on your socket. This is in addition to the two earth wires in the T&E cable. It may not do much good sonically but it certainly won't do any harm. The additional cost is minimal so do it anyway.

Sockets. MK or Crabtree double sockets are very good. If you use an extension power block, then fit one of the Russ Andrews SuperSockets on your ring mains and use that. As I said, the gain is subtle but worthwhile.

Now for my "Rocker has really lost his marbles this time" suggestion. Screw your mains extension block to a small but substantial block of wood. Fit three spikes on the underside of the block of wood [like a tripod] and press the spikes through the carpet. I found that this gives another subtle sound improvement which can be tested by simply removing the spikes and resting the extension block on the floor. YMMV as they say but suitable spikes can be had for a fiver from Russ Andrews. When reading the 'articles' on mains electricity on the Russ Andrews website, keep a firm grip on your credit card.............
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!