Should I hand back my audiophile card?

Diapason

Should I hand back my audiophile card?

Post by Diapason »

I've a confession to make: I haven't turned my system on in weeks. It's not because I'm disappointed with it or don't want to listen to it, but in current circumstances the problem is finding time to sit in isolation and just listen. It's just not happening.

Anyway, my music listening over this period has only grown, as most of the time is spent in the kitchen listening to the system in there:
Spotify (controlled by iPad) -> Chromecast Audio -> Wadia 151 (via Optical in) -> B&W 685S2

The sad truth is that I'm now wondering why I bother having the main system at all. Don't get me wrong, it's obviously better, streets ahead in every conceivable way, but in terms of enjoyment of *music*, I don't feel like I'm giving up much. I listen to every genre in the kitchen, the world is at my fingertips via Spotify, and it sounds GOOD.

Maybe I'm no longer an audiophile...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Re: Should I hand back my audiophile card?

Post by Ivor »

we all go through phases where we don't have the specific energy required to sit down and actually listen to music, especially where we have young kids and other worthy and worldly distractions. My such phases don't generally last more than two weeks but then I'll more than make up for it. A new shiney box or an unbending piece of cable will have me rolling the stone across the door of the man cave again on a nightly basis.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

I have been through the exact same concerns at various times over the past 15 years. I have wanted to sell my home studio, my drum kit, my hifi and my cameras. My wife has stopped me each time. I always end up coming back, so I am SO glad I never sold. I now know myself well enough to just give hobbies a rest and be ok with it. So my advice is to just enjoy the kitchen system and leave the man cave for a while. It might actually be a sign of health in your life that you don't have the need to sit in there ..... ;) I also offer counselling at very reasonable prices...
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I agree with Claus and Ivor. I have been in the same situation too and as said above at one stage or another most of us probably have. It usually all clicks back together. I'd like to say more but I am just too depressed with Trump winning the election here.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

i have diffarent things going through my head -family and not wanting to be in man cave -to many hifi boxes sitting around i have reciently got a set of allison 5 speakers (which are supposed to be able to be dumped anywhere and still sound good) to try to fit into the family enviroment -
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I hear ya Simon. I haven't turned on my main system in months. In fact I've had so little time to listen to the main rig that I've put it away in storage. Any time I do get for music is usually late night and I've been more than happy with the Stax headphones for such duties. The big Sony CDP and TT are now connected to the Stax in the attic room. I've been this close for months now to putting the Jadis and Kharmas up for sale. Nothing in my situation is gonna change for the foreseeable future so why hang on to them I keep asking myself.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Recently invested in a Bluesound Vault 2 player.

Certainly good enough for Hi Fi duty.

Listening to a LOT more music now. So much faster to browse through my library, instantaneous switching between tracks / albums etc. Compiling favorite play lists, ability to control volume quickly and so on.

Not only that but I don't have to remember where did I put such and such CD in what box anymore, which takes the requirement to remember where stuff is out of the picture.

In short much more accessibility, getting more familiar with albums / library and enjoying the entire experience a lot more. IMO definitely a good investment.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Ahahah I'm exactly in the same situation. With two young kids, it's indeed hard to find the time to seat on your own. My amp is broken for a month and I can't find the time to fix.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..